none
Unable to backup Hyper-V Guest RRS feed

• Question

• HI all I have the following components

FS1 : File server acting as storage for all VMs (Windows 2012)

SC1 : Server running DPM 2012 SP1 and VMM 2012 SP1 on Windows 2012

CLST : A Windows 2012 Hyper-V Cluster, Node1, Node2, Node3, each node as VMM and DPM agent installed

A VMs are stored on file shares on FS1, there is no CSV in this system.

All components have been installed from bare metal with SP1 release components, no upgrade and no beta components have touched these machines.

If I attempt to back up a VM via DPM I get the following failure

====

Type: Replica creation
    Description: DPM failed to communicate with sv-syscenter-03.gt.local because of a communication error with the protection agent. (ID 53 Details: Not implemented (0x80000001))
     More information
    End time: 20/01/2013 23:25:01
    Start time: 20/01/2013 23:24:26
    Time elapsed: 00:00:35
    Data transferred: 0 MB
    Cluster node SV-HYPER-31.gt.local
    Source details: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\sv-dcbs-05
    Protection group: Tier-3

====

If I then try to run a consistency check I get the following error

====

Type: Consistency check
    Description: An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: Access is denied (0x80070005))
     More information
    End time: 20/01/2013 23:32:40
    Start time: 20/01/2013 23:32:04
    Time elapsed: 00:00:36
    Data transferred: 0 MB
    Cluster node SV-HYPER-31.gt.local
    Source details: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\sv-dcbs-05
    Protection group: Tier-3
    Items scanned: 0
    Items fixed: 0

====

This seems to be the same regardless of if the VM is running or shutdown and what node on the cluster the VM is running on, or which VM I try to back up.

I've checked the System and App logs on all machines and can find no obvious errors.

Hope someone can shed some light on this!

Cheers,

Stephen.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:55 PM

All replies

• Should just add that the same DPM/VMM server from the above post, has no issues backing up VMs on a second 2012 Hyper-V cluster that is using CSVs. 

Stephen.

Monday, January 21, 2013 12:20 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure the Remote SMB file server prereqs are met:

DPM Agent is required on all computers involved (Hyper-V server(s) and SMB share server.
    You must Enable the "File Server VSS Agent Service" role on Remote SMB File server
    Hyper-V nodes and DPM server machine$ account should have full permissions on the specific Remote SMB File share.
    The cluster service account should have full permission on the specific Remote SMB file share
      NOTE: Accounts should be explicitly added and not embedded in other accounts as odd behavior has been observed when using groups. 
            This is not a requirement but simply something we have seen.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx#bkmk_protectvmwithsmb

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Hi, I went through and checked everything listed there and still get the same error.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:35 AM
  • Hi,

Can DPM protect other data sources on both the Cluster-node running the VM and the File server ?    Can you protect c:\temp on both servers and see if DPM has any problems protecting either of those.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:10 AM
  • I can backup files from volumes on the Hyper-V host, File server and DPM/VMM server without issue.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:06 PM