Performance Point - Linking a filter to a Date Range RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create my first Performance Point dashboard.  I've got an Analytic Grid and an Analytic Chart.  I added a Time Intelligence Calendar to display the date.  I'm tying the single date to the grid - which works great.  However, my chart needs to go 13 months back from the selected date.  This does not work. 

The link formula for the chart I have been trying is as follows:
    Month - 13 : Month

The error I receive is as follows:
    An unknown error has occurred. If the problem persists contact an administrator. There may be additional information in the server application event log.

Contact the administrator for more details.

The event log on the server has no other, less-generic information other than a connection has been forcibly closed.

Also, if I try altering the formula to something like Month - 13 , it works fine.  It just doesn't work with a range.

The data source for the report as well as the time dimension is SSAS 2008.  The MDX query for the chart is a simple query with the dates on the X-axis.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:58 PM

Answers

• There is a bug related with Windows Server 2008 (or any AES aware OS) using Kerberos to communicate to Analysis Services.

Windows Server 2008 Kerberos Bug – Transport Connection Issues with SSAS data

You might need to move one of your servers to Windows Server 2003 (either the front-end web server or the SSAS database server) to see if this resolves your issue.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Edited by Dan English Monday, June 29, 2009 2:21 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by cincysql Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:42 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:21 PM

All replies

• This might not be the real reason.. but have you tried

Month:Month-13
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Yes, that was my very first attempt.  The Month-13:Month was me grabbing at straws :D
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:12 PM
  • What member from calendar dimension are you displaying on axis of analytic chart in dashboard designer. I would suggest dragging Clendar Hierarchy on that axis leaving default member as it is.And then trying this.

Friday, June 26, 2009 6:39 PM
  • I have a Date Dimension with a Calendar Hierarchy (Year - Semester - Quarter - Month...etc.).  I had added that hierarchy to the x-axis, and selected 3 static month members for the initial query.

I tried your suggestion -- I deleted the hierarchy from the x-axis, and added it back.  This time, I left the default member (All Dates) selected.  The issue remains as it did with the individual months selected.

For some additional information, I'm not sure that this would make a difference, but, on my Time setup for my data source, I have one level of my hierarchy without a match - "10 days."  My mappings are as follows:
    Year -- Year
    Half Year -- Semester
    Quarter -- Quarter
    Month -- Month
    Ten Days -- None
    Date -- Day
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Not sure about the Ten Days level within the hierarchy.  Maybe test using a hierarchy that does not have that level setup in it.  Have you tried running profiler on the SSAS instance to see what is being passed to the Analysis Service database.  The Event Log should also provide additional information in regards to potential syntax issues that you might be experiencing, but the SSAS trace should provide some insight into the error that you are experiencing.

Are you running this in a distributed environment?  What OS is running on the servers?  If you are running Windows Server 2008 it is possible that you might be running into the Kerberos bug if you are running this on multiple servers.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Dan.  I'll try creating a test Date hierarchy with a simpler structure to rule out the 10 days level.

We've just got this running in a small scale environment.  SSAS and Performance Point are on different servers, both running Windows Server 2008 Standard.  I had not heard of the Kerberos bug -- is there a known Windows 2008/Performance Point/Kerberos issue?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:16 PM
  • There is a bug related with Windows Server 2008 (or any AES aware OS) using Kerberos to communicate to Analysis Services.

Windows Server 2008 Kerberos Bug – Transport Connection Issues with SSAS data

You might need to move one of your servers to Windows Server 2003 (either the front-end web server or the SSAS database server) to see if this resolves your issue.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Edited by Dan English Monday, June 29, 2009 2:21 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by cincysql Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:42 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:21 PM
  • I just tried the simpler data hierarchy -- no dice.  We'll see if we come up with anything on the Kerberos issue.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Then it is most like related to the Kerberos bug with Windows Server 2008.  I have setup filters like these without issues and this should definitely work for you.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Thanks.  I'll post back our resolution.  A temporary fix I'm using to get some proof of concepts is to hand code the original MDX query, utilizing the Lag function and parameters to get my date range.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:14 PM
  • UPDATE:  I believe it now has something to do with our particular Date dimension.

We've got the AW database installed on the SSAS Server.  Testing with it produced a strange series of events.  Firstly, the data in the AW database ranges from about 2001 to 2004.  I set up a Time Intelligence date scenario with the AW database.  The default for the Time Intelligence calendar is today's date -- roughly 5 years from the last bit of AW data.  Navigating the calendar in these future dates does nothing to the chart -- it simply shows the same dates I selected in the query designer GUI.  I assume that instead of throwing an exception, it renders the default view.

However, once I navigate back to dates within the AW range, I can get my date range logic to work (Month:Month-3 in this case). 

Then, on a subsequent test, when I selected a future date against the AW data, I do get a There are no data columns to display message.

So, all in all, it appears I can get (mostly) the behavior I am expecting against the sample SSAS AW database.  Still no go with the date range logic against my own data, however.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I wouldn't rule out the Kerberos bug, especially if you are using Windows Server 2008.  If you are just getting the connection was forcibly closed this could definitely be related to that bug.  I am assuming this is the same information that you get when you run an SSAS trace with Profiler, right?

If you are able to I would setup a front-end web server on Windows Server 2003 and try it or place SSAS 2008 on that OS and test it.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:33 PM
  • FYI - Windows Server 2008 Kerberos Bug Patch – resolves SSAS connection issues
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:04 PM