All Updates with Approval Set to Unapproved and Status Set to Any RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have conducted an extensive research (Technet, forums, etc.) all over the internet, but have not found the answers to my questions. I have WSUS 3.2.7600.226 running on a Windows 2008 R2 server that was recently implemented. All updates have been approved after highlighting ALL UPDATES on the left and settings views to 'APPROVAL: UNAPPROVED' and 'STATUS: FAILED OR NEEDED'. Thus, there are no updates left to approve.

However, when I highlight ALL UPDATES on the left and have the views set to 'APPROVAL: UNAPPROVED' and 'STATUS: ANY', there are many updates (including critial updates, drivers <which have now been turned off>, feature packs, security updates, service packs, and updates) with approval status of UNAPPROVED.

Why is this the case? Which is the correct approval and status filter selections to choose in order to approve all updates? Also, when regular clients (not tied to WSUS server) accessed Microsoft Windows Update for their updates in the past, the list of updates are separated between Important updates and Optional updates. Are there Optional Updates that appear on the Windows Server Update Services console?

Thank you for your time and attention!

Kharin

• Edited by klozano Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:24 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Kharin,

In order to approve All Unapproved Updates, you should filter on "Any except declined" and Unapproved.  The "Failed or needed" status shows where client machines have evaluated updates and found that those updates have either failed, or could be installed on the clients. Using the "Any except declined" filter can show updates which client machines have evaluated and found not to be applicable (perhaps they are for different operating systems/architectures/languages or they may have been superceded by other updates, or they may not have been evaluated by any clients yet).

An important thing to note also, is that what is reported currently with these unapproved updates may change when other updates are approved, as some updates supercede others. A good starting place would be to determine what updates you know you don't need and decline them first, then run the server cleanup wizard. After that you can work through approving as needed. (Declining the unneeded updates is a best practice, it mean there are simply less updates to process and maintain).

Regarding the optional updates from Microsoft update, the recommended & optional update concepts are only applicable on the Microsoft Update site itself, they don't apply to WSUS. Essentially all updates are available via WSUS, you just approve/decline them as needed.

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:09 AM