Can't install KB943729 Client Side Extensions Vista SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My colleague installed a new Vista SP1 machine (I know SP1 is not supported anymore, long story but I cannot upgrade to SP2 because of the software running on this client). He is 100% sure he installed CSE. After that he did a sysprep and made a image by BESR.

Now the client is shipped to my location. GPO and GPP won't work. I see many problems normally caused by not installing CSE. So I checked the Windows Update list and KB943729 is not listed. When I try to run the CSE msu file it will do a search for updates and fails on message: The update does not apply to your system

I checked the machine: It is Windows Vista Business SP1 x86. The msu file is also for Vista SP1 x86. I used the same file last months for another machine where another colleague forgot to install the CSE. It is very strange why I cannot install the CSE. There are no strange events logged. I don't know how to solve this.

Anyone who can help me?

Bastiaan

Monday, November 7, 2011 10:39 AM

Answers

• I found the solution: There are two NICs installed on the Vista client used for different networks. My colleague accidently configured also two gateways. I found out after the route print command. :-). So i deleted the second gateway.

It's solved now.

• Marked as answer by John Doe313 Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:24 AM
    • Edited by John Doe313 Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:24 AM

All replies

• Update:

In the GUI I couldn't find the kb installed of CSE but trough command systeminfo I saw the kb of CSE installed. Now it seems I have dns errors. The machine did registered dynamic DNS records. It also joined the domain succesfully. But when I ping the DC from the client by hostname if failes. Ping to IP of the DC succeeds. Ping to hostname of the client from the DC succeeds too. Ipconfig /displaydns is a emtpy table. So I disjoined the client of the domain. Removed the computerobject and rejoined to the domain succesfull again. Now I can ping to hostname from client to DC and vice versa. But still the gpupdate /force results in a error telling me there are network problems or dfs client is not working or something like that.

A colleague of mine remembered these kind of problems. In the past they installed hotfix kb971060. So I installed this patch. After a reboot I even cannot ping the hostname of the DC. SO i disjoined and rejoined the domain again. Now I cannot join the domain anymore! I do get a credentials popup to join the computer tot the domain but after a long wait I get a message: "The following error occured attempting to join the domain "domainname". The network path cannot be found". In the background I have constant ping from DC to the client. There is always a good respond, never a timeout or later respond.

Monday, November 7, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

This issue is more server related, in order to get the answer effectively, it is recommended to submit a new question in Windows Server Forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:10 AM
  • I found the solution: There are two NICs installed on the Vista client used for different networks. My colleague accidently configured also two gateways. I found out after the route print command. :-). So i deleted the second gateway.

It's solved now.

• Marked as answer by John Doe313 Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:24 AM
    • Edited by John Doe313 Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:24 AM