Inserting videos in Outlook messages RRS feed

• Question

• I couldn't find any way to insert a video file, such as an MP4, so it would play when you opened an email message. So I used the Outlook Insert>Object>PowerPoint Presentation, as well as the Insert>Object>Package selections to use a PowerPoint presentation instead of a video. After I inserted the file, but before I sent the email, the presentation ran in both instances when I clicked it. The audio worked fine.

However, after I sent the message to myself and opened it, the presentation had become just a static image of the intro page that didn't play when I clicked it.I was going to use Adobe Presenter to embed a video in the PowerPoint as my next test, but I suspect that won't work either, unless I'm missing something (for instance, could corporate email security be disabling the presentation during the send process?)

Or is the functionality to send video and audio in Outlook just not there yet?

Thanks!

• Edited by namedujour Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:10 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• No, embedding and directly playing videos in a mail message isn't supported for various reasons (mainly security related).

You can insert the file as an attachment or use the following method instead to reduce the message size (works for non-Youtube videos as well, as long as you have a place to upload the video to:
    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/309

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:47 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It might be caused by the HTML message format. When you send HTML message, all the objects will be discribed by HTML code and converted. This may result in you see the video has been changed to image.

If you create Rich text format message, the PowerPoint object will be reserved when you send it. After you receive the message, you will need to follow the steps below to play the presentation:

In Outlook 2010

1. Double click to open the message.

2. Click "Actions" button in "Move" group, select "Edit Message"

3. Double click on the PowerPoint object you inserted

4. If you see the alert, click Yes to continue.

5. Wait for the presentation being loaded and then you can play the video.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Rex Zhang Friday, December 14, 2012 9:26 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 9:19 AM
  • No, embedding and directly playing videos in a mail message isn't supported for various reasons (mainly security related).

You can insert the file as an attachment or use the following method instead to reduce the message size (works for non-Youtube videos as well, as long as you have a place to upload the video to:
    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/309

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:47 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 9:52 AM