Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 - Finding messages sent to mail-enabled Active Directory Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are using Exchange Server 2007 and by examining the message tracking logs we need to find which mail-enabled Active Directory groups have been receiving messages from the internet for a specific period of time. The results should not include internal messages, it should only include messages sent from the internet.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks.

Friday, October 7, 2011 10:08 AM

Answers

• On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:08:36 +0000, Onur Uras wrote:

>Hi all, We are using Exchange Server 2007 and by examining the message tracking logs we need to find which mail-enabled Active Directory groups have been receiving messages from the internet for a specific period of time. The results should not include internal messages, it should only include messages sent from the internet. How can I accomplish this?

I don't think you're going to be able to do this with the GUI. And,
    even using Powershell, you'll have to run the results of the
    get-messagetrackinglog through additional checks to eliminate, say,
    senders in your own domain and IP addresses outside your network.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 1:51 AM

All replies

• On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:08:36 +0000, Onur Uras wrote:

>Hi all, We are using Exchange Server 2007 and by examining the message tracking logs we need to find which mail-enabled Active Directory groups have been receiving messages from the internet for a specific period of time. The results should not include internal messages, it should only include messages sent from the internet. How can I accomplish this?

I don't think you're going to be able to do this with the GUI. And,
    even using Powershell, you'll have to run the results of the
    get-messagetrackinglog through additional checks to eliminate, say,
    senders in your own domain and IP addresses outside your network.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, October 8, 2011 1:51 AM
  • On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 01:51:32 +0000, Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:08:36 +0000, Onur Uras wrote: >Hi all, We are using Exchange Server 2007 and by examining the message tracking logs we need to find which mail-enabled Active Directory groups have been receiving messages from the internet for a specific period of time. The results should not include internal messages, it should only include messages sent from the internet. How can I accomplish this? I don't think you're going to be able to do this with the GUI. And, even using Powershell, you'll have to run the results of the get-messagetrackinglog through additional checks to eliminate, say, senders in your own domain and IP addresses outside your network.

That should be "IP addresses *INSIDE* your network."

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:37 PM