Nothing on power-up after windows update RRS feed

• Question

• Today, Windows wanted to restart after downloading an update, so I let it do so as I went off to class. When I came home around 3 hours later, my laptop has had no display whatsoever, and the HDD activity light flashes maybe once or twice on power up, if at all. I've tried a hard reset, powering it off and back on, plugging it into my TV via HDMI hoping it might default to that as a display, but there's no activity at all. Booting with a Vista recovery disc yields no results, and there's no indication that pressing any keys, such as F8, Delete, or anything else, has any effect either. In addition, none of the toggle locks function, leading me to believe it's not even loading to the log-in screen and only the display is non-functional.

Those were all suggestions that I could find from either the Microsoft Knowledge Database or the HP Support site, as well as several Google searches. The rest say it's either a faulty connection from a drop, but I hadn't moved the laptop previous to the issue, or that there is some sort of hardware failure. I really don't have the money lying around to either fix or replace parts on it, seeing as the warranty and even the extended warranty are both expired.

It's an HP Pavilion dv9922us laptop running Vista 64-bit, and has worked fine for 3 or so years up until that update.

Friday, April 15, 2011 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sounds like the computer has developed a hardware issue so you should have it looked at by
    a real computer shop (not leeks and peeks at a Best Buy or other Big Box Stores) or HP's
    Support.

This issue is probably incidental to the updates and would have happened on the next restart
    regardless of the reason for it.

The data can be saved by putting the hard drive into another computer as the 2nd drive or into
    and External USB case. Either should allow you to copy the data to removable media such as
    CD, DVD, or other USB drives.

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Please unplug all unnecessary external devices and restart again.

As the HDD does not run, it could be a faulty hardware issue, it is suggested to contact HP support for more accurate information.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sounds like the computer has developed a hardware issue so you should have it looked at by
    a real computer shop (not leeks and peeks at a Best Buy or other Big Box Stores) or HP's
    Support.

This issue is probably incidental to the updates and would have happened on the next restart
    regardless of the reason for it.

The data can be saved by putting the hard drive into another computer as the 2nd drive or into
    and External USB case. Either should allow you to copy the data to removable media such as
    CD, DVD, or other USB drives.

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Please unplug all unnecessary external devices and restart again.

As the HDD does not run, it could be a faulty hardware issue, it is suggested to contact HP support for more accurate information.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:40 AM