none
MDT 2013 - USB Keyboard and Mouse stops working during Deployment wizard RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange one. ABout a month ago, all of the sudden, when i boot from an MDT USB stick to deploy Windows 7, the Mouse and Keyboard do not load. I have tried all USB ports on the target PC. This is happening to various Dell and HP models.

I read on one thread that to resolve this is to completely remove all OOB drivers and re-add them. I have about 12 different models of Desktop/Laptops and tabet computers here, i really dont want to do that if at all possible.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

David J

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:09 AM

Answers

• Found the culprit, it turned out to be the Chipset drivers for the HP 650 G1 laptops. I removed these drivers for this model from Out Of Box drivers and updated my media content. I will now just have to install these drivers as an 'application' and add it as a Task Sequence.

Thanks for all your input.

• Marked as answer by David Jobse Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:32 AM

All replies

• If you have the drivers added into MDT, first try to update the deployment share, and select "Completely regenerate the boot images". Otherwise I would create a *NEW* deployment share to see if that works as well.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:10 AM
  • I have Completely regenerate the Boot Images, updated my media shared, copied to USB and the KB and mouse still disconnects. I notice that once you boot into the USB stick, the 'Loading files...' screen appears with the long white progress bar, the 'number lock' light is still on on the KB during this part. When the 'Loading Files....' screen is finish and it moves onto the next screen which is the Windows 8 logo screen, this is when the KB and mouse loose connection and the number lock light goes out.

I did another test on a Test TS that i have. This TS has not OOB drivers included and just a few programs that i test before i put them in my production TS, this Test TS works correctly, the mouse and KB do not disconnect at all and i am able to re-image and complete the deployment. So that suggests to me that it is a USB/Chipset driver issue. Any ideas on how to troubeshoot this, or do i now just start the process of elimination and go through all my (19 different computer models) USB/Chipset drivers and see which one is the culprit.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:16 PM
  • THe fact that the keyboard/mouse disconnect with your WinPE that *has* 3rd party drivers, yet the WinPE that does *not* have any 3rd party drivers does *not* disconnect would suggest to me that one of the 3rd party drivers that are copied to WInPE is causing the disconnect. It could be anything.

Get a list of all drivers being copied down to the machine, that should be displayed in the logging window when you update the deployment share.

If that does not work, then try launching the DBGView.exe program from Sysinternals when you update the deployment share. IT should also list what is going on.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Found the culprit, it turned out to be the Chipset drivers for the HP 650 G1 laptops. I removed these drivers for this model from Out Of Box drivers and updated my media content. I will now just have to install these drivers as an 'application' and add it as a Task Sequence.

Thanks for all your input.

• Marked as answer by David Jobse Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:32 AM