none
Windows Recovery Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get the Run the Windows Recovery Wizard option to appear at the Welcome Menu for my LiteTouch boot media. I have never had this option appear but now I would like to have it for convenience. I am deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 in my environment. I mostly deploy via PXE boot using WDS, but I sometimes use the ISO image when necessary.

I started out with MDT 2013 and Windows ADK for Windows 8.1. I have upgraded to MDT 2013 Update 1 and Windows ADK for Windows 10 during my troubleshooting. My understanding of the circumstances in which the Windows RE option appears at the Welcome Menu is shaky, but from what I've read, it's determined by the winpe.wim from ADK or boot.wim from the OS that is selected by the MDT Workbench when updating the deployment share. Here is what I have tried so far.

1. Added the most recent Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 OS's from the source files to the Deployment Workbench in an attempt to have MDT use those boot.wim images to build the WinPE image. Originally, all my deployment images were stored in WDS.
    2. Added the RTM versions of the OS's to the Deployment Workbench. (I read this was an issue in MDT 2012, but has since been resolved, so I didn't expect this to be the fix.)
    3. Replaced the winpe.wim file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us folder with the boot.wim image from Windows Server 2012 R2. Doing this caused MDT to use the boot.wim image from my Windows Server 2012 R2 OS source folder and successfully built a bootable LiteTouchPE_x64.wim/iso image, but there is always an error message that an existing deployment is in progress when the deployment wizard begins.

Does anyone know if it is possible to display the Windows Recover Wizard option for a LiteTouch deployment using MDT 2013 Update 1 and Windows ADK 10, and if so, what I might be doing wrong?

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:45 PM

Answers

• It would need to be a matching OS. So PE 10 and Windows 10.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Marked as answer by Blaine Perry Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Ty is correct. Here is what I am learned from my testing.

When you have a Windows OS added to your Operating Systems in the Deployment Workbench that matches the version of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit (Windows ADK) that you have installed, then the Workbench will create the WinPE image using the boot.wim from the Windows OS. In other words, to get the Recovery Wizard to display in my WinPE image, I need to install ADK for Windows 10 and add Windows 10 to my Operating Systems in the Deployment Workbench. Presumably, this same principal applies to the ADK for Windows 8.1 and the Windows 8.1 OS, but I was not able to get that to work (although, I assume I was doing something wrong at that time).

Another factor that applied in my scenario, in case anyone stumbles upon this, is that the OS must be the full set of source files that has been imported into the Deployment Workbench. The Deployment Workbench cannot use images in your Widows Deployment Services server (WDS) to create the WinPE image. This makes sense, since the boot.wim is not located in the "Boot Images" folder of WDS, but I didn't realize that initially and ran into this problem during my testing.

Thanks, Ty for your help!

• Marked as answer by Blaine Perry Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:32 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:32 PM

All replies

• It would need to be a matching OS. So PE 10 and Windows 10.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Marked as answer by Blaine Perry Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Thanks, Ty. So I'm guessing that means PE 10 isn't going to show the Recovery Wizard for a downlevel Windows, huh?

I also had this problem with Windows Server 2012 R2 when using Windows ADK for Windows 8.1. WinPE 5.1 should have displayed the Recovery Wizard option in the Welcome Screen if I had the Windows Server 2012 R2 source files added to my Operating Systems, correct?

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Yes that is my understanding.

Friday, January 22, 2016 1:39 AM
  • I'm going to download the Windows 10 ISO from my MSDN subscription, add it to my Operating Systems in the Deployment Workbench and see if the recovery wizard option appears, and then post back to here with the results.
    Friday, January 22, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Ty is correct. Here is what I am learned from my testing.

When you have a Windows OS added to your Operating Systems in the Deployment Workbench that matches the version of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit (Windows ADK) that you have installed, then the Workbench will create the WinPE image using the boot.wim from the Windows OS. In other words, to get the Recovery Wizard to display in my WinPE image, I need to install ADK for Windows 10 and add Windows 10 to my Operating Systems in the Deployment Workbench. Presumably, this same principal applies to the ADK for Windows 8.1 and the Windows 8.1 OS, but I was not able to get that to work (although, I assume I was doing something wrong at that time).

Another factor that applied in my scenario, in case anyone stumbles upon this, is that the OS must be the full set of source files that has been imported into the Deployment Workbench. The Deployment Workbench cannot use images in your Widows Deployment Services server (WDS) to create the WinPE image. This makes sense, since the boot.wim is not located in the "Boot Images" folder of WDS, but I didn't realize that initially and ran into this problem during my testing.

Thanks, Ty for your help!

• Marked as answer by Blaine Perry Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:32 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:32 PM