Mouse pointer continously freezes RRS feed

• Question

• Racking my brain for ages over this and can't find a solution, so thought I'd ask the community for ideas.

User with Windows 7 (64-bit Enterprise) computer who complains that her mouse pointer keeps on freezing while she is working. Sometimes it is only for 2-3 seconds, after which it comes back to life again, other times it freezes and doesn't come back, so she has to reboot (during this time, the PC is still working and you can use the keyboard etc.). I have tested her PC under my login and can confirm I experienced the same symptoms.

I have replaced the mouse (generic Microsoft USB optical mouse with wheel) and changed what USB port it was plugged in to, but it continued to freeze. I changed the keyboard (just in case, as once before I had seen a malfunctioning USB keyboard affect a mouse) and also unplugged all other USB equipment, but it still happened. Checked the mouse drivers in Device Manager and they were the standard Microsoft drivers. Clicked the Update Drivers button and the PC started to install Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software - post reboot, the drivers were updated to a newer version, but if anything the problem seemed worse than before, so I rolled back to the old version.

At this point, I decided the quickest way would be to replace the machine itself rather than try to solve the underlying problem. So I give the user a new PC (same model), but just a few hours later, she rings me to say that the mouse is still freezing, even though we've now replaced all possible bits of hardware!

No other person at the company is experiencing this problem, even though they all use the same make and model of PC, all using the same Windows 7 build, most of them with the same type of mouse. Apart from telling the user that they're cursed, I'm not sure what else to try! Any ideas?

Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:43 PM

All replies

• Does this user have extra Browser plug ins installed?  When I've seen issues like this in the past it is usually related to some plug in hogging resources.  Perhaps she accesses sites that require conflicting versions of Java, etc.  I would start by disabling them one at a time and see if you find the culprit.

Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect this would be related to some software conflict, please test for a while in clean boot:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:38 AM
  • I have the same problem for about 1 month on my computer at home and at work. Before that I had no freezing problems. Both machines are win7 64 bit. I suspect the freezing came with an update...

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:14 AM
  • That is definitely weird. The few times that has happened to me, it was 100% the mouse but if you already replaced the mouse, then I guess my solution does not work very well. If you were to plug in a USB drive, does the drive go "in and out" also?

Does it do it in safe mode?

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Also, I am not sure what type of environment you are in, but we could not use our mouse on the Anti-static mat because the reflections from the light of the mouse did not work correctly. Obviously, this would be pointing to the mouse being the issue, but might be another avenue to explore.

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:44 PM