Windows 2012 R2 - AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have two Windows Server 2012 R2 in RDS farm, both connected to same WSUS by GPO. On both servers GPO applied correctly. When new updates are received one server reboot at 04:00 as it scheduled in GPO. But second server always rebooting at the working time. Looks like it gets correct GPO but by some reasons it didn't applied. Registry settings are the same on both. I did WSUS client reset. Any suggestions?

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi DmitryIDE,

>"AutomaticMaintenanceEnabled"=dword:00000001

Check if you have checked "install during automatic maintenance" in Automatic Updates in GPO.

If yes, please uncheck it and run gpupdate/force on client and install updates again, check if that option affect the scheduled installation options.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi DmitryIDE,

>But second server always rebooting at the working time.

Could you post the detailed register keys' settings about automatic update on the second server?

Besides, check if the second server has pending on restart for the last updates, you may check if the server could follow the GPO settings in the next update(ensure there's no pending on restart).

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 12, 2016 2:50 AM
  • Hi Anne!

Thank you for your response.

Here are my registry settings from broken server:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000001
    "WUServer"="https://hidden/"
    "WUStatusServer"="https://hidden/"
    "TargetGroupEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "TargetGroup"="GN-Clients"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000000
    "RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:000000b4
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
    "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
    "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000004
    "DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000006
    "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
    "IncludeRecommendedUpdates"=dword:00000001
    "AutomaticMaintenanceEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime"=dword:00000001
    "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTimeMinutes"=dword:0000000f
    "AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000001

We never had any pending on restart updates, because we always reboot server after updates installation. I also force GPO update last months, but as you can see it still doesn't work. It's not easy always to check immidiately because I have to wait next month MS patches release (they are approved automatically on WSUS servers for this target group).

Friday, August 12, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Hi DmitryIDE,

>"AutomaticMaintenanceEnabled"=dword:00000001

Check if you have checked "install during automatic maintenance" in Automatic Updates in GPO.

If yes, please uncheck it and run gpupdate/force on client and install updates again, check if that option affect the scheduled installation options.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Hi Anne!

Thank you for reply!

Could you please clarify which exactly updates I have to install again? Recently I've applied KB3138615 on broken host.

Best regards,

Dmitry

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hi DmitryIDE,

You may wait for the new updates and see the behavior;

You may also manually uninstall one update that has already installed on the broken host for test, check if the broken server could install that update in the next scheduled time and follow the GPO settings.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Hi Anne!

Thank you for your suggestion, but this host is little bit busy and I would wait till next patch release (should be tomorrow). Then I will let you know the results.

Best regards,

Dmitry Ivakin

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Hi Anne!

First of all, thank you very much for valuable suggestion, it work for us, both hosts were restarted today as scheduled.

But it's still the question for me why it's only affected to one host? Both hosts have the same settings for Automatic Maintenance (run maintenance tasks daily at 02:00). Interesting...

Best regards,

Dmitry

Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:36 AM