WSUS Downstream server not downloading updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 2012R2 wsus server setup running wsus and getting updates fine from Microsoft Updates.  We will call this server A in this example.

I have a downstream server that is windows 2012r2 and has wsus installed.  We can call this server B.  It is configured to use "Update Source" and point to A to get its updates.  SSL is not being used.

Server B says it syncs fine with no errors.  However, when i look in the content folder I see the folders (0A, 2A, 2F etc..)  but they do not contain any files.  When i run wsusutil checkhealth the following error comes up in event viewer.  

The WSUS content directory is not accessible. System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.HealthMonitoring.HmtWebServices.CheckContentDirWebAccess(EventLoggingType type, HealthEventLogger logger)

Any Suggesitons

Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:24 AM

Answers

• When i run wsusutil checkhealth the following error comes up in event viewer.   

The WSUS content directory is not accessible. System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.HealthMonitoring.HmtWebServices.CheckContentDirWebAccess(EventLoggingType type, HealthEventLogger logger)

Any Suggesitons

Looks like the content store, specifically the /Content v-dir in IIS, is not configured correctly.

If so, it's also possible that the upstream server is not downloading content correctly from Microsoft. And if the downstream server cannot get to /Content, neither can any of the clients of the upstream server.

Start by inspecting the ApplicationEventLog on the upstream server for any evidence of download failures. If they don't exist, then this could simply be an issue with IIS. Verify that the /Content v-dir is configured to point to the correct location of the ~\WSUSContent folder.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Saturday, February 7, 2015 1:34 PM