Web monitor causing UAG to crash. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are running 2 UAG trunks at our organisation hosted on separate servers, one very busy site running on a load balanced 2 server set up and the other much less busy site running on a single VM. We are experiencing problems on both trunks when we open web monitor (both on the server and via the portal page) and navigate to the active sessions section. The Web monitor page becomes unresponsive and more seriously so does the portal. The only way to get the site back up again seems to be a server reboot. As this is happening on both trunks we are running, one highly customised and the other very much 'out of the box' I was expecting to find others who may have experienced and hopefully solved the problem but with no luck.

If any one has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

many thanks,

Peter

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Can you confirm that both UAG servers are installed on the same patch level ?

Ophir.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hi Ophirp,

Many thanks for getting back to me. One install is on 4.0.1752.10000 the other 4.0.1752.10020.

Peter

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Hi Peter,

So most likely this is the cause of the issue. If you can install the rollup-1 (10020) on the other server it may fix your issue.

Ophir.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Sorry Ophir I think I confused you there, in our load balanced UAG set up both servers are running 4.0.1752.10000, on the other completely separate UAG service we are running 4.0.1752.10020. Both these services are experiencing the same issue when opening web monitor.

Many thanks for your help,

Peter

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Hi Peter,

In this case I really don't know what is wrong, and it sound like something bad with the SessionMgr service.

When this happen, did you try to just restart the SessionMgr service instead of reboot the full machine ?

Also - it may worth to take some SessionMgr traces and see if anything wrong there, but maybe it good idea to open a case with CSS for that...

Ophir.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi Ophir,

Thanks for your advice, next time it happens I'll have a look at sessionMgr service and restart that.

Peter

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:23 AM
  • I have a similar issue with UAG 2010 SP1 update 1. I installed TMG SP2 on the UAG array manager and when I go to Web Monitor and try to open array monitor, the application pool crashes. So basically I can't resume the NLB and update the member server. I'm now uninstalling the SP2.

Regards,

Jukka

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Can you try install SP2 on the member offline (when you disconnect the network on the member) and bring it back online after SP2 installed ?

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Can you try install SP2 on the member offline (when you disconnect the network on the member) and bring it back online after SP2 installed ?

You mean after I have installed the SP2 on array manager? I need a solution without service interruption.

Regards,

Jukka

• Edited by Kossunder Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:06 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Yes. After you installed on the manager, take the member offline (while the manager serve the users) and upgrade it to SP2, then join it back...
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:06 AM
  • I can't get the array manager back to serving requests because the Windows NLB is suspended.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:08 AM
  • So can you take offline the manager and see if this will let you access the nlb page to start it, and then you can put it back online ?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:10 AM
  • So can you take offline the manager and see if this will let you access the nlb page to start it, and then you can put it back online ?

I can access the page but I cannot make any configuration changes, hosts are unknown. When I enable the internal network adapter, accessing array monitor crashes the default application pool in IIS.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Can't you enable the network, but not connect it to the same network of the other members?

(As we need the manager to see itself but not see the other members).

Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Ok, so I need to change VLAN or disconnect the cable? Or change IP? Is it possible to remove array manager from NLB?
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Best will be just to change vlan. This should allow you to see "yourself" but not the other members.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:04 PM
  • OK, now my array manager cannot see the member server and the interfaces are up. NLB status unknown and everything is greyed out.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:12 PM
  • In this case, I think best will be to break the array (i.e. change the manager to be stand alone) and only after it up again, rebuild the array.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:14 PM