Windows Explorer Nav pane RRS feed

• General discussion

• When viewing folders in Windows Explorer in Vista, the navigation pane is animated to slide the tree to the left or to the right depending on where the focus is placed with the cursor. It's like having a scroll bar at the bottom ut it's automatic.
    This facility does not seem to be available in Windows 7 in either the RC or the final release, at least I haven't yet found it if it does exist.
    Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me.

• Changed type Linda Yan Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevinvk2ce,

Could you please be more specific about the navigation pane in Windows Explorer? It seems there is no " the navigation pane is animated to slide the tree to the left or to the right depending on where the focus is placed with the cursor" in Windows Vista. Therefore, could you please capture some screenshots by the steps below to describe the feature?

Capture screenshot

============

1. Please reproduce this issue, and then press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

6. Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let us know the link.

Also, if you are referring to "tree lines" in the navigation pane, please see the answer in this thread: How do i enable tree lines.

Besides, here is an article about the new features in Windows Explorer: Windows Explorer – What’s new in Windows 7? You can see the changes in Windows 7 there.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:55 AM
  • Hi Linda, thanks for replying to my question. It is quite difficult to describe what I am talking about. I have done a screen shot at:
    http://cid-8f225cdbce39138e.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1

What I am trying to describe is when you get to this position after drilling down the folders and the text becomes half hidden, in Vista the text moves over to the left so you can see the folder title and when you take the cursor back up the folder list the text moves back to the right. It's like having automatic horizontal scrolling.
    My question is have they removed this facility from Win 7 because it was quite handy in Vista.

I looked at the web pages you mentioned but that's not what I am talking about.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:58 PM
  • ROFL

beautiful response, I lol'ed deeply

But, I fully agree that it was annoying. Even if it was a compromise for limited screen space.. when was that ever really an issue that needed to be fixed for everyone?

Still.. it would be nice to make such changes into toggles to let people enjoy the new feature, and give those that don't want it an alternative.
    exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:12 PM
  • So it seems my question is answered. The facility I had in Vista isn't in Win 7. I guess I'll just have to enlarge the navigation pane. Thanks guys at least I can stop looking for a setting that doesn't exist.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Did you know that you can grab the border between the navigation pane and the files window and make the navigation pane wider?

At some point the problem you're describing ceases to be as much of a problem...

Hope this helps.

-Noel

Edit:  Sorry, I see that you had this figured out already.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:10 PM

• Maybe it does.  Did you read the manual?

Manual! What Manual?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:55 PM

• it does not exist on 7 and i agree with you that is needed exist, i have given my feedback even from the win 7 beta version [ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/44dd1f26-5783-45ba-aaa8-efdefa0d83bc  ]  about : 

............................................................................

1. i preffer vista's navigation pane , and only the  'foders' [vista's] section of navigation pane to be like the win7 beta navigation pane, but i think microsofts decision is to follow Apple and not to be infront.

2. taskbars buttons are impressive and perchaps needed to be used on any position [or give to the user the possibility to choose in what places he/she wants adding 1 or more menus on style like windows folders properties]

3. Folderband for me ever was a useless toolbar, i preffer a menu on adressband like that osx is using, but controling not only the size of folders but menu styles also.
    additionaly to that 1 or more buttons could added to the oposite corner of titlebar that existed min,max,close buttons. [a kind of this button exist (when menu is hidden) on windows live mesenger for windows 7, but is setted near the min,max,close buttons and not as i suggest to the opposite side of them.

4. It would be good from Microsoft to be given a small window utility that let us when we use aero [=transparent mode] if we preffer some elements [for example titlebar, buttons etc] to be choosen from those of the Basic mode.

-----------

also on windows xp via right clik on the window toolbar you can customize the position of the navigation buttons , adresbar etc on vista, and 7  NO , why ? or why even now not making an utility, power toy or whatever small programm that will give to the users the choices we want, and perchaps because of time pressure not included on the initial operating sustem code?

-----------

also the microsoft code engineeres have changed some code behaviour that on vista was working well like the bordercolor on main window, and proper tree area[=navigation pane area],  In Shellstyle.dll ui[of windows 7] parameters like gradient are not working on atom(clientviewhost) and on ProperTreeHost area,  see  what i mean http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12668 ,  but from the other they have given possibilities to do some things , like forexample to set the first category in navigation pane at the top of the navigation pane via changing the code see,    http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/WINDOWS-7-by-ZEUSosX-141088122
    ------
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Hi Kevinvk2ce,

As mentioned in the above posts, this feature has been removed in Windows 7. However, the full name of the folder will be displayed while hovering the mouse over the folder.

In addition, I will report your feedback to product group.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Without reading everything I'm just going to throw this unrelated thing here,

I just noticed this option in ClassicShell in Settings for Classic Explorer 2.9.0 in Navigation Pane there's a tick for "Fix folder scrolling" which tooltips this:

"This option fixed a bug in Windows 7 that moves a folder to the bottom of the screen after it is expanded"

it might be helpful to somebody

what is you talking aboot?
    Friday, December 24, 2010 4:34 PM