Hard drive crash RRS feed

• Question

• My son dropped his laptop and the hard drive no longer works.  I can easily replace the hard drive but what do I do about the operating system.  I was told that the operating system (MS XP Home) is linked to the computer not the drive.  I don't have any discs so what am I supposed to do?

Monday, November 28, 2011 1:40 PM

Answers

• You should first contact the manufacturer of the laptop and ask about purchasing ReInstall discs.

Your only other choice is to find a legitimate place to purchase a copy of Windows XP Home and you will have to go to the manufacturer's Support website and download all hardware drivers and utility software for the laptop to be fully functional.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 28, 2011 2:30 PM

All replies

• You should first contact the manufacturer of the laptop and ask about purchasing ReInstall discs.

Your only other choice is to find a legitimate place to purchase a copy of Windows XP Home and you will have to go to the manufacturer's Support website and download all hardware drivers and utility software for the laptop to be fully functional.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 28, 2011 2:30 PM
  • If the OS came with the computer, do you see a label attached to the case with the Windows XP Home Edition KEY on it?

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as
    an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others
    with the same problem finding the answer. - Thanks.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:54 AM