windows vista- catastrophic error code help RRS feed

• Question

•  

perhaps someone can shed light on this, have had a laptop [toshiba a100-027] since feb this year with vista already installed and touch wood, no problems so far [first ever owned computer] but, I have noticed that sometimes on a monday when I turn my computer on a small window pops up [has a red circle to the left with a white X and states the following:

Windows Back up

"The backup application could not start due to an internal error.

Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)

Please check your system configuration and try again"

Okay, what does this mean, what do I do and is it to do with backing up files? [if it is, I auto backup files each saturday weekly onto dvd-r and each time its been successful each time]

my windows updates are set to auto and are fine so I am confused and do not understand what this error and windows backup error means or is referring to or what I am meant to do etc?

help  please??

Monday, September 3, 2007 11:29 PM

All replies

• I receive the same "Catastrophic Failure" message. I have it configured to backup to the C drive and there is plenty of space. I'm guessing this is a software issue rather than a hardware one. Out of curiousity, what brand computer are you running? Mine is an HP and I was reminded to backup my files from the HP Total Care Advisor software that HP loads on their computers. I wasn't concerned about backing up but now that I see this error message, I'm a little concerned. Likewise, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:12 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem .

Error 0x8000FFFF when I attempt to do a complete backup

Help

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Same problem here on a Dell 531 running Vista Home Premium with lots of drive space available on C.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:57 PM
  • same problem for me when trying to run the HP backup utility with Vista =-- anyone know a fix?
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  Steve Holdridge wrote:
    same problem for me when trying to run the HP backup utility with Vista =-- anyone know a fix?

I have the same problem on a Vista Lenovo T60, with backup disk being FreeAgent external USB drive. Lots of room on both my laptop and the FreeAgent drive.

Any solution? I see a lot of similar questions on the net, with no response from Microsoft. Strange...

Vista Backup worked well for more than 6 months. Why did it spontaneously stop working now?

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:55 PM
  • We have the exact same problem..............heard anything about a solution?

Don't understand why Microsoft has not addressed this.............or if they did why we have not heard about it.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:03 AM
  • My computer is only 2 days old and i am getting the same error code about having a catastrophic failure when i try to back my files up. what are we to do. If our computers get ruined is microsoft going to pay for them???

Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:39 AM
  •  Murph in iowa wrote:

We have the exact same problem..............heard anything about a solution?

Don't understand why Microsoft has not addressed this.............or if they did why we have not heard about it.

did anyone find a solution yet?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:43 AM
  • Some combination of the following got my backup back in service:

1) Set Volume Shadow Copy to automatic.

2) Ran disk cleanup - eliminated everything I trust MS products to eliminate

3) Ran chkdsk - had a problem because I could not get Vista to run chkdsk on the boot drive (you schedule it to run when the sytem reboots - it never did); not sure if this was related to my problem or not. Instead of creating a boot CD with chkdsk (as one should) I started Vista and held the power button to down the system before the startup finished; when I restarted it asked if it should check the disk and repair windows, said yes, and it found and repaired problems. BTW, I have a full image backup so I can do stuff like this with minimal fear. I'm not sure I could have created a boot disk with a good chkdsk with my system in the condition where backup failed.

As with other suggestions, all I can say is "It worked for me."

Good luck!

Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:19 PM