reinstall and activate RRS feed

• Question

• I have office 2010 professional plus 32 bit version installed and activated.  I would like to try the 64 bit version, which requires me to uninstall the 32 bit version.  What do I need to do to insure my product key works with the new 64 bit version (or for that matter the 32 bit version if I choose to revert to that version of the software)?
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:30 PM

Answers

• Are you a volume customer, or is this version of ProPlus from TechNet?

If you are a volume customer, and you have a KMS host set up, then you can uninstall and reinstall with no problems.

To make sure your product key works with the other version, you will need to make sure you install exactly the same product, except with different bitness.  Make sure you download the 64-bit version from the same place you downloaded the 32-bit version, etc.

If you had installed a product key and you had activated online, then generally you should have no problems.  Since your hardware did not change, you should be able to use the same key and activate Office again whenever you switch back and forth between 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, January 28, 2011 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:38 AM