none
Backuping a DPM 2012 server RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario: a) I have a DPM 2012 (Windows 2008 Server R2) running in the local office, it back-up the Database Servers.

b) I have another DPM 2012 (Windows 2008 Server R2) located at offsite office, it backup the DPM 2012 at the local office. (4 Kilometres away from both sides)

c) Both are setup to do incremental backup (Note: my incremental data is around 30 mb to 100 mb daily)

d) I setup the Offsite DPM 2012 to backup the Local DPM 2012 every night at 8PM.

e) I used VPN connection on both Servers to communicate (I am using 10mpbs Fibre Connection for our Internet on both sides)

Problem: When the backup start at night the Offsite DPM 2012 the back-up takes long time reach until 12pm noon during working hours. And our office staff's located at offsite office are complaining that their connection to our system are very slow and notice that it was the Offsite DPM 2012 causing the problem if the backup is running. When I go to the offsite office tried downloading very large files while the backup is running I encountered no problem only the connection to the system to our Local Office having slow connection. And from Local Office to other branches I did not encountered any problem only that our offsite office who having the DPM 2012 server. Our consultant suspect that our gateway VPN in offsite office causing the problem but I do not think it is the problem because if the offsite DPM backup is not running, it only takes 15 mins to 30 mins for me to transfer 1GB any file type to our Local Office or vice versa, meaning it should take only about an hour to backup our Local DPM.

I do not want to spend money just to replace the gateway in our Offsite office, then be blame in the end if it did not solve the problem.

It is my first time to use DPM, I do not know how to check the data transfer between DPM's. Any suggestion what should I do to isolate the problem.

Regards,

abcamitan

Monday, December 24, 2012 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like the secondary dpm server is performing a consistency check, not a normal incremental backup, can you check the job history and see if the job that takes a long time is a synchronization or a consistency check.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 24, 2012 2:34 PM