How can I keep the cats from waking my computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista on a Dell Inspiron 530.  One of the events that will wake the computer from sleep is a key-press.  Unfortunately, our cats have discovered this, and the past half-dozen times I've left the computer sleeping, I find it whirring merrily away the next morning, presumably as a result of nocturnal feline surfing.

Is there a way to configure Vista to only emerge from sleep from a non-cat-accessible event, such as ctrl-alt-anything?  Or to restrict wake up to a mouse button push?

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

May I suggest another thing?  Please read the following:

Sleep: Keeps your session in memory and puts the computer in low-power state so that you can quickly resume working.

Hibernate: Saves your session and turns off your computer. When you turn on the computer, Windows restores your session.

From your post it seems you put your computer on sleep while you're sleeping at night, hence you're not in need for it all the night. Thus I suggest you to use Hibernation property. Note that if you have 1 GB of RAM for example, hibernation will require 1 GB free storage to be able to save session in a file for fast resume. Final word, your cats are naughty kind pets.

Good luck

Friday, September 7, 2007 8:15 PM