none
% Complete or Single Entry Mode wTime Driven Project Progress RRS feed

• Question

• Half of our teams do not use Project Online TimeTrack while the other half does. Currently I am using the % of Work Complete tracking method and have it locked down. I have not clicked of SEM.

Recently I am seeing that if a PM sets a task to 100% complete, Project Online is auto entering time into the timesheet of the resources assigned to the task. However, the resource can override the entry.  Is this a bug?

If not, I am wondering if I have my TimeTrack and Task Progess  chosen the right way given I want time entered to not affect % complete and vice versa.  I want the PM to enter the %complete and the resources who need to enter time to do that.  I do not want managers or PMs to ok time entered.

Can I have timesheets drive progress but still let Project managers set the %Complete on tasks?

Thanks

John

Thursday, December 15, 2016 9:25 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

First of all, what you see is the normal behavior. A team member can say that his task is completed at 100%. So the timesheet calculates by default that the actual work is equal to what has been planned. But the team member can update the actual work because even though the task is completed, it might have required more or less time that expected.

For your other concern, I think you are taking it from the wrong side. What we generally advice is not to use the %complete. The team member usually knows how much actual work he did, but he might not have a overall view on the task completion since it might rely on other parameters.

Thus you might consider to ask team member entering actual work, then the project manager should update the project with the remaining work, which is also the real information he gets. Then the %complete will be automatically calcualted.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by John Murphy 36 Friday, December 16, 2016 1:37 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Yes of course, you can change the tracking method with no impact on the projects. That being said, it could be confusing for the users.

Hope this helps,

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Hi John,

That should work, but the risk is that since the actuals are not protected in the schedules, PM can manually overwrite actual work.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by John Murphy 36 Monday, December 19, 2016 3:02 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 7:50 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

First of all, what you see is the normal behavior. A team member can say that his task is completed at 100%. So the timesheet calculates by default that the actual work is equal to what has been planned. But the team member can update the actual work because even though the task is completed, it might have required more or less time that expected.

For your other concern, I think you are taking it from the wrong side. What we generally advice is not to use the %complete. The team member usually knows how much actual work he did, but he might not have a overall view on the task completion since it might rely on other parameters.

Thus you might consider to ask team member entering actual work, then the project manager should update the project with the remaining work, which is also the real information he gets. Then the %complete will be automatically calcualted.

Hope this helps,

Friday, December 16, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Guillaume,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am glad I am seeing Normal behavior.  I will test using Hours of Work Done per Period  locked down and SEM.  My concern is that only 50% of my users are entering time so hours entered will work for some projects and not for others.

Question: Once I start having people put time in a few days, can I switch to a different Task Tracking Methold without having a negative affect on my Project Online instance/project task progress?

Thanks

John

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Yes of course, you can change the tracking method with no impact on the projects. That being said, it could be confusing for the users.

Hope this helps,

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Thanks again ...

John

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Guillaume,

I have tested further based on your recommendation.

I plan to now switch to:

1. Single Entry Mode checked
    2. Tracking Method is then set Hours of work done per period
    3. Protect User Updates  ... I did not choose "only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets"

With these settings

1. Resources for the two of the three teams who need to enter their time can do so
    2. Project Managers can enter either %Complete or Remaining work.  Even if the PM enters 50% complete for a task, actuals on the related resources' timesheets are not affected. 
    3. However,  the Actuals on the resource's Tasks page does reflect the % complete entered by the PM.  This is not an issue ... I can cover that in training.

Net, net ... a team member enter time worked on the task.  The PM gets to enter %Complete or Remaining work for the tasks.  This works for my needs ...

If you see an issue, please let me know ...

Thanks,

John

Friday, December 16, 2016 5:44 PM
  • Hi John,

That should work, but the risk is that since the actuals are not protected in the schedules, PM can manually overwrite actual work.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by John Murphy 36 Monday, December 19, 2016 3:02 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Guillaume,

Thanks so much for your input. You have really helped me.

Thank you,

John

Monday, December 19, 2016 12:56 PM