none
Is Project Web Database linked to the main SharePoint site? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just created a projects web database site on my sharepoint site, and after creating a project, populating it with some  tasks, and adding some customers, i have discovered that there appears to be no link to the main sharePoint site. For example, i expected tasks assigned to me as a user of both sites to be displayed in the tasks list related to the main site. Also in the main sharepoint site you can create a gantt chart based on project tasks, is this possible in the project web database?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

• Moved by Chris We - MSFTMicrosoft employee Friday, August 6, 2010 10:02 PM This is an issue for Project (From:SharePoint 2010 - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:56 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the refresher about Project Web Database.  Yes, that workspace is not part of Microsoft Project Server. To me it's a poor man's solution for managing projects using SharePoint.  It has some of the same components of project server, but it does not include a project schedule that links to project professional, and enterprise resource pool, etc., etc. It's a great tool but does not have as many features.

I noticed this was moved from SharePoint 2010 to Project  Server 2010 because project was mention, but it's really SharePoint.  Let's leave it hear, because I am sure others have  looked into this.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hello eclarke,

What version of project server are you running?

What do you mean by "Is Projet Web Database linked to main SharePoint site".  Are you referring to PWA or the companies' main sharepoint site?

You mention adding customers to a task.  Did you mean that you are adding resources to the task?

I need a little more detail to understand your problem.

Cheers!

MIchael Wharton, MBA, PMP, mCt

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Apart of sharepoint 2010 allows you to create a Site called a Project Web Database

When i created it, it appeared to act as a seperate site, not adopting any styles or master pages like other created sites. I was hoping there would be some integration between the Project Web Database site and my main SharePoint site that hosted it. But there does not appear to be, i though perhaps creating projects, tasks etc and assigning them to users would mean they would be accessible form the main site. Via tasks or something similar. However, i could not find away to achieve it and after having a good look around for information about it, decided it wasn't that well covered/supported.

I would appreciate any information you can provide but i am no longer using this as a solution

Thanks

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for the refresher about Project Web Database.  Yes, that workspace is not part of Microsoft Project Server. To me it's a poor man's solution for managing projects using SharePoint.  It has some of the same components of project server, but it does not include a project schedule that links to project professional, and enterprise resource pool, etc., etc. It's a great tool but does not have as many features.

I noticed this was moved from SharePoint 2010 to Project  Server 2010 because project was mention, but it's really SharePoint.  Let's leave it hear, because I am sure others have  looked into this.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:47 PM
  • how to add some code in Project Web Database with VS. something like event receiver.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:32 AM