FOPE Discontinued? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

We currently are running a SBS2008 with exchange 2007, and our Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server has now expired (running on the server). I was told last month that Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) was the replacement but as a hosted service.

I enquired about pricing and I was told today that FOPE has now also been disconntinued. I can't seem to find any information regarding this?

Is this correct, and does Microsoft offer any other replacement solutions?

Thanks

Al

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

FOPE isn't really discontinued it has been replaced by the new version which is called EOP (Exchange Online Protection)

This here is the offical statement:

"Exchange Online Protection (EOP) replacing Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE)

On March 1st, 2013, Microsoft launched Exchange Online Protection (EOP), a cloud-based email hygiene service that provides enterprise-class spam and virus filtering. EOP is the new version of Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) based on the Office 365 platform. All existing customers using FOPE for their Exchange Online service or on-premises email solution will be transitioned to EOP.

Customers currently using Office 365’s Exchange Online service may have already commenced their transition. The management experience for anti-spam settings is being unified with the rest of the Office 365 admin experience as part of an update that will come to existing customers beginning in April 2013. Once this update occurs, you will be able to manage anti-spam, antivirus, and mail routing settings all from right within the Exchange Admin Center. For more information visit the Office 365 Service Upgrades and Service Updates wiki.

Customers with an on-premises email environment will start their transitions in Q3 calendar year 2013 and will continue throughout the calendar year. At that time your FOPE settings will automatically be transitioned to EOP. You will be notified at least 30-days in advance of your transition timeframe. We will provide more information about what to expect during the transition in the next 60 days.

For information about the new features of EOP please visit http://aka.ms/eop. For question around licensing, renewals and to add additional seats to your existing service please contact your Microsoft Licensing representative."

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Hi Christian,

Our FOPE is expiring on 31st of May and I already asked Microsoft Licensing Partner to advise the renewal but they replied me back saying FOPE is no longer available as standalone product and it is replaced by Exchange Online Protection so I need to buy online.

When I looked at the Exchange Online Protection website, it is stated that FOPE will be migrated to EOP.

My first question is how do I renew FOPE so it becomes EOP?

And my second question is will Microsoft migrate to EOP even if FOPE has been expired?

Please help me out here.

Regards,

Bikram

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

how have you bought FOPE licenses so far?

Microsoft will only migrate valid subscriptions to EOP.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:11 AM
  • I bought FOPE licenses under Volume licensing agreement from one of Microsoft reseller.

Now when I ask them to quote me for renewal, they say it is not available as standalone and I have to buy from Microsoft website.

When I went to Exchange online protection website and clicked on "Buy", it wants to create a new account in 365.

This is too confusing....

I am thinking to abandon EOP and go to other solutions.

Regards,

Biksuni

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:18 AM
  • I bought FOPE licenses under Volume licensing agreement from one of Microsoft reseller.

Now when I ask them to quote me for renewal, they say it is not available as standalone and I have to buy from Microsoft website.

When I went to Exchange online protection website and clicked on "Buy", it wants to create a new account in 365.

This is too confusing....

I am thinking to abandon EOP and go to other solutions.

Regards,

Biksuni

I am also in a similar situation.

We currently have FOPE which is through one MS reseller but not attached to any VLA etc. We also have a VLA via another MS reseller. Our Fope expires very soon and i have been trying for nearly 3 months to establish how we make the transition to EOP.

Our VLA reseller has advised thay cannot quote FOPE as it is EOL, they cannot quote EOP as we need to go directly via MS for this product, however I have been unable to get from either my EOP or MS direct how the transition between FOPE & EOP will take place if we do not wait for MS to migrate us automatically.....

We want to move away from our current FOPE reseller and align this product with the current provider of our VLA (although I am aware EOP cannot be added to our VLA). I have tried calling MS directly, and was passed through several departments, 1 hour & 40 mins later I was advised I needed to go back to my VLA reseller and ask them for my MS Account Manager Details, which I did and have been advised we are an 'un-managed' account....

I am stuck as to where I go from here - I need to speak with someone in MS who knows about EOP and the transition from FOPE to EOP.

Please can some feedback be advised?

Thank You

Shelley

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:46 PM
  • I too am in a similar situation and it is becoming critical as our current FOPE subscription expires on May 31.

I have been told by my FOPE reseller that they cannot renew my existing FOPE subscription and that they are unable to quote a new EOP subscription. What I would like to know is the following:

• What happens when my current FOPE subscription expires on May 31?
    • How can I renew a FOPE subscription?
    • If FOPE will no longer forward email after May 31, how do I order and transition to EOP before then? Will I be a ble to order an EOP subscription via a purchase order?
    • Is there a grace period with FOPE so email does not stop flowing into my company?
    • I have several domains pointing to FOPE currently. I assume I will need to make an MX record change if I ever figure out how to transition to EOP. What will those MX records be?
    • I use FOPE as an outbound smarthost. Will EOP support this setup?

This transition from FOPE to EOP has not left a good impression. There is virtually no information to be had, even from Microsoft resellers as to the proper way to transition customers to EOP.

Thank you

--paul

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:15 PM
  • We are in the same boat. apparently we need to find a migration path THIS WEEK.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:06 PM