none
UWP app elevated priviledges RRS feed

• Question

• I want to launch my UWP in elevated mode, i understand UWP is quite secure for system level communication.

But for my need i need to launch UWP app in user context with elevated privileges because i have to use many system level information .

Monday, September 18, 2017 7:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can't run a UWP app automatically with elevated rights. The nature of elevated rights requires user intervention as a security feature of User Access Privileges.

AppX Limitations

A UWP application will only be able to run under user context, this means you will not be able to elevate your application, install services or drivers, write to HKLM registry hive or generate log files in the installation folder of your application.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:00 AM

All replies

• As far as I am aware, this is not possible. The UWP platform runs applications in an AppContainer security context. "Win32 desktop apps" on Windows Vista or later run as "Standard User" or as "Administrator". UWP apps have less access rights than "Standard User" and can never run as "Administrator". UWP apps can request additional capabilities to get a few more rights with permission from the user, but have limited access to the system and user data. For example, you cannot read most of the filesystem, only your installed location, an isolated application data folder, and an isolated temporary file folder. This also means UWP apps have limited access to devices.

For more details visit this link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36286806/uwp-limitations-in-desktop-apps

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, September 18, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

You can't run a UWP app automatically with elevated rights. The nature of elevated rights requires user intervention as a security feature of User Access Privileges.

AppX Limitations

A UWP application will only be able to run under user context, this means you will not be able to elevate your application, install services or drivers, write to HKLM registry hive or generate log files in the installation folder of your application.

Hope it will be helpful to you

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:31 PM