none
Group Policy support for Microsoft Office 365 Business Premium

Question

• Hello

We recently switched subscription from 365 Pro Plus to Business Premium.  Prior to installing the new version on every user PC, we tested our existing GPOs with the new version.  Everything worked normally.  Following the change to the actual plan, the GPOs have stopped applying.  We were assured over the telephone by a MS representative that everything would continue working.  Can anyone shed any light on whether GPOs should be applied for Business Premium?

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

>>Can anyone shed any light on whether GPOs should be applied for Business Premium?

To use group policy to manage Office suites, we need to get corresponding admx templates for the Office suites. As long as we use the correct template, group policy will work. If something goes wrong in the process of group policy applying, we can run command gpresult/h gpreport.html to collect group policy result report to check how group policy settings were applied.

In addition, for corresponding admx templates for specific Office suites, we can ask for more information in the following Office forum.

Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus - IT Pro General Discussions

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=officeitpro

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, December 26, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply.

Just so I'm absolutely clear - we were running Office 2013 Pro Plus and the admx templates that I was using were working perfectly.  When we then changed versions to Office 2013 Business Premium the GPOs stopped working.  Are you suggesting that I can get the GPOs working again by obtaining different admx templates that correspond to Office 2013 Business Premium?

Paul

Monday, December 29, 2014 12:06 PM
  • Hi Paul

Have you got anywhere with this - currently having the same issue

Thanks

Graham

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Hi Paul,

>> Are you suggesting that I can get the GPOs working again by obtaining different admx templates that correspond to Office 2013 Business Premium?

Yes, but I don't have the environment at hand to check that if the Office 365 Pro Plus template can work for Business Premium. As suggested, we may ask this question in the Office forum.

Besides, for troubleshooting group policy applying issues, we can collect group policy result report with the command mentioned in the last reply to check how the policy settings are applied.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Thursday, January 08, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Hi Paul

Have you got anywhere with this - currently having the same issue

Thanks

Graham

Nothing definitive as yet Graham unfortunately.

Paul

Monday, January 12, 2015 3:52 PM
  • Hi Paul & Graham we are also having this issue and cannot get an answer from MS.

I am waiting on a call from MS support, if any answer is given I will post what I find.

Thanks,

Rick

rick

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:49 PM
  • I'm also having the same issue having begun with ProPlus and moving to Business Premium as part of a rollout.

I ran into this Microsoft article which mentions GPO support under Enterprise value and rather ominously it is supported in ProPlus but not Business Premium.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office-applications-service-description.aspx

It would be disappointing if a product that can scale up to 300 users would not expect to support Group Policy in an environment of that size.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:53 PM
  • I currently have a midsize subscription, and have been looking into the implications of the new business premium offering.

Unfortunately the link quoted above does make it very clear that Group Policy is NOT supported in Business Premium.  This is why it isn't working, it isn't intended to work.

I will have another year to work out what to do, as renewals don't have to be moved onto the new plans until after October 2015.

Personally I think it is a complete disgrace that a product offering designed to support up to 300 workstations doesn't have Group Policy support.

Even on a little 5 to 10 user installation it is so much easier to set group policy file save locations, trusted locations, etc etc rather than teaching users how to do this.   It is something that we just take for granted to have Group Policy support.

I hope that Microsoft will urgently consider changing this, as I can see a lot of people with Midsize plans very unhappy when they renew onto Business Premium and find their group policy settings are broken. 

Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:30 PM
  • Hello Paul,

Group policy doesn't support for Business Premium.

Dilshan

Thursday, August 04, 2016 6:58 AM