none
Power Options - "Save changes" button is greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• Try to adjust Power Options on my Win7 Home x64 PC to make the machine go into Hibernate mode.  After changing the # of minutes before Hibernation takes place I see that the Save changes button is greyed out therefore I cannot modify this setting.  I'm guessing there is something simple I'm missing here.

Hank Vare

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 6:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

If you login as an administrator?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/778-power-plan-settings-change.html

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 6:47 PM
  • Yes account type is Administrator.

Hank Vare

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:48 PM
  • try to enable UAC

• Edited by britishdhez Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:27 AM
  • you mean disable UAC?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if any other change can be saved when you make any modification.

I consider if any 3rd part application especially the security app prevent you from changing Hibernate options. I suggest you test the issue in Clean boot Mode and safe mode.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 5, 2014 9:29 AM
    Owner
  • I have tried the following with no resolution:

• Disabled UAC
    • Booted into Clean Mode
    • Booted into Safe Mode (no Hibernate setting appeared in this mode)

I noticed throughout these tests that when you try adjusting either Balanced or Power saver mode, the Save changes button remains grayed out unless you make a change to either the Turn off the display OR Put the computer to sleep setting. Even after I changed one of these settings and THEN modified the Hibernate setting the PC will not hibernate.

Not sure if this is related or not, but whenever I try manually putting the PC in Sleep mode by clicking Start > Shutdown > Sleep, that also doesn't work.

Thanks kindly for all of the suggestions.

Hank Vare

Friday, September 5, 2014 2:51 PM
  • I noticed throughout these tests that when you try adjusting either Balanced or Power saver mode, the Save changes button remains grayed out unless you make a change to either the Turn off the display OR Put the computer to sleep setting.

This behavior is designed by default, changes will enable this Button (save changes) and by default, it's grey out.

Even after I changed one of these   settings and THEN modified the Hibernate setting the PC will not hibernate.

Not sure if this is related or not, but   whenever I try manually putting the PC in Sleep mode by clicking Start >   Shutdown > Sleep, that also doesn't work.

For this issue, your computer fail to sleep, it seems that any app or service or device prevent from sleep, help to collect the energy report by running this command:

powercfg -ENERGY

Then, upload the output file under C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html via Onedrive or similar network service, then share the link here for our research.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger LuModerator Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by techrep43 Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:10 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:49 PM
    Owner
  • Issue resolved by reimaging machine.

Hank Vare

• Marked as answer by techrep43 Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:38 AM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:38 AM