none
Following machines with incompatible operating system are excluded: <name> (ID: 7013) RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following configuration:

• Host machine running under Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V
    • Virtual machine running under Windows Server 2008 R2 with System Center 2012 SP1 DPM
    • Other virtual machines I want to protect too

I'm trying to create my 1st protection group (kind: clients) but getting the following error adding any machine, host or virtual, with our without agent installed:

Some of the selected computers could not be added.
    To view the list of computers that could not be added, click the "Failed add machines" link below the list of selectable computers (ID: 7013).

And by the link a text file:

Following machines with incompatible operating system are excluded:
    <server.domain>

What's wrong with it? Is 2008 R2 really can't be protected by DPM 2012?

• Edited by abatishchev Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:39 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot protect Server operating system using "clients" protection type.  Client protection is only valid for Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 client operating systems.

Please select "Server" protection and that should work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:42 PM
  • I can answer my question by myself:

First you need to deploy an agent on the server to backup using Management -> Install.

• Marked as answer by abatishchev Friday, August 16, 2013 9:05 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 9:04 PM

All replies

• Actually it is supported. So why am I receiving such werid and meaningful error?!

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Hi,

You cannot protect Server operating system using "clients" protection type.  Client protection is only valid for Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 client operating systems.

Please select "Server" protection and that should work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

I see, that makes sense.

But the reason I'm trying kind=clients was that kind=servers doesn't list any machines or sql instance I could/want to backup. Only of DPM itself.

Kind=clients lists AD/Computers and that's clear. How can I register some in kind=servers?

Thanks!

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:33 PM
  • I can answer my question by myself:

First you need to deploy an agent on the server to backup using Management -> Install.

• Marked as answer by abatishchev Friday, August 16, 2013 9:05 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 9:04 PM