Outlook + Exchange Server versus Outlook + Google GSSMO + Gmail RRS feed

• Question

• HELP!!

The organization that I am a part of has several divisions.  My divisions uses industry specific software that requires and is fully integrated with Outlook as mail client and Exchange as back end.  This implementation has been used successfully for years.

The organization's IT group has decided to phase out Microsoft products and commence use of Google's GSuite in place of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.

We were successful in getting the IT group to understand that we could not switch to Gmail as the industry specific software vendor did not support Gmail in any implementation.

The organization's IT group has now reverted with a solution involving Google's GSSMO synchronization tool as a fix.

I have investigated GSSMO and it is not in my opinion a solution as it does not sync all of a user's desktop Outlook data with Gmail, does not sync ALL Outlook data across multiple desktops, and can result in loss of a user's unsynced Outlook data if the GSSMO synced data becomes corrupted with a "delete and re-sync" being required to fix the corrupted data.

Product documentation from Google of course downplays the significance of the fact that GSSMO only syncs a subset of data.

The organization’s IT group is overly confident that the Outlook + Google GSSMO + Gmail implementation will be just as functional as an Outlook + Exchange implementation.

My division is not confident and given that the industry specific software is MISSION CRITICAL to our operation, we do not want to risk a catastrophe. 

Is there a document that provides a detailed listing of features lost when using Outlook + Google GSSMO + Gmail backend versus Outlook + Exchange Server backend?

In addition to any such documentation, I welcome individual comments or recent (2016 and later) experiences  that people have had with an Outlook + Google GSSMO + Gmail implementation.

Friday, February 10, 2017 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Biff,

No such a document that I'm aware of.

As this involves some Google products, I recommend you ask in Google forum also, someone familiar with Google's products may give your some hints:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!home

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, February 24, 2017 10:35 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Unfortunately, the Google sites are very pro-Google (as one might expect).  I am looking for real world experiences with an Outlook <> GSSMO <> Gmail implementation.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:29 PM
  • Hi Biff,

This is a very rare form of configuration, I'm afraid you need to consult the provider that how to implement such a deployment in your organization.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:50 AM
  • https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en/us/support/enterprise/static/gapps/art/users/en/glook/google_apps_sync_chart.pdf
    Friday, March 31, 2017 11:23 PM