runasinvoker uiaccess = true gives error: application cannot start - not enough privileges for this operation RRS feed

• Question

• I have an applicaiton created in appv 4.6 SP1, enforced security descriptors is unchecked.

My pc is windows 7 SP1 with UAC enabled.

But when I try to start the application I get an error that I do not have the necessary permissions for this action.

The only way I was able to solve this issue was deleting the security part in the manifest file or changing the value uiaccess to false belonging to the executable.

<security>
          <requestedPrivileges>
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="true"> </requestedExecutionLevel>
     </requestedPrivileges>

But in that case some functionality (keystrokes) do not work anymore. (keystroke button, with alt key)

What I did also tried

- When I set enableuipi=0 then it works again.

But this gives a problem in ie9 and 10 (bug has been logged for it)

shimming runasinvoker does not make a difference.

So I think I have two options:

1. find out why I get the "no privilige" message

2. find a way to enable uiaccess out of the bubble only for the application. (does a shim exist?)

I hope someone has already encountered something similar.

Tom

• Edited by tomnoels2 Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:34 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:33 PM

All replies

• For App-V 4.6 SP1. You can successfully use runasinvoker by putting the following in any OSD that requires this:

<ENVLIST>
        <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="__COMPAT_LAYER">RunAsInvoker</ENVIRONMENT>
    </ENVLIST>

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:14 PM typo
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:13 PM
  • thx for the responds.

Is there a difference between creating a shim (application fix runasinvoker) and doing it in the package itself?

Because that I have tested it already. That is why I thought beter to concentrate on the uiaccess property.

But to be 100% sure I will test it.

thx

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:38 PM
  • I did the test. I have added the environment variable in every osd file.

Positive: Now the security message is gone. In other words the application starts without error with the original manifest file. so this means there is a difference between a shim and putting it directly in the osd file.

the manifest includes again the default values:

<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="true"> </requestedExecutionLevel>

But the keystroke still do not work.

- When I stop uac on the local machine, it works again

- When uac is started and I add the key enableuipi=0, it works also (but then IE9 gets problems)

so it seems an interaction between the bubble and explorer?

Friday, July 19, 2013 7:24 AM