none
EPT Selection from Project Professional 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there any way in Project Professional 2010 to select which EPT you would like to use from Project Server 2010?

I understand that it uses the default EPT (Basic Project Plan currently) set in project server, but I want to know if there is ANY way around this?

This is very inconvenient for Project Managers that want to work specifically out of Project Professional and not PWA.

I also understand that we could just have them start their projects via PWA, but I'd like to know if there is at all any way to get around that limitation.

It seems a huge oversight to have left this functionality out of PP2010.

Thanks.

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Klint,

Simply put, no, I'm afraid the EPTs are all driven from PWA, and it's really because the PDP UI experience is much richer in that format (for no other reason that that's where MS chose to invest it's develpment time).

HTH, Ben [MVP]

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Stretching things a bit, it could be feasible to add some code that dynamically changes the default EPT on Project Save/Publish based on a project custom field (or changes the EPT after the project is created). The idea would be to populate a CF (lookup table) with the available EPTs, have project managers select the appropriate EPT before first saving to the server, and have custom code for reading the value and setting the right template/EPT.

www.umt.com | www.umtprojectessentials.com

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Klint,

Simply put, no, I'm afraid the EPTs are all driven from PWA, and it's really because the PDP UI experience is much richer in that format (for no other reason that that's where MS chose to invest it's develpment time).

HTH, Ben [MVP]

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Stretching things a bit, it could be feasible to add some code that dynamically changes the default EPT on Project Save/Publish based on a project custom field (or changes the EPT after the project is created). The idea would be to populate a CF (lookup table) with the available EPTs, have project managers select the appropriate EPT before first saving to the server, and have custom code for reading the value and setting the right template/EPT.

www.umt.com | www.umtprojectessentials.com

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:50 PM