Problem with CMD.EXE RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, i have a problem, i can't launch cmd.exe or .bat files... when i start windows, and log in into my account, it displays a black screen and an error messege like :" Windows can't find the file '-a'. Make sure the name is spelled correctly and try again", i click "ok" and the black screen closes and starts normally... The pc runs great but if i try to open cmd.exe or any .bat file it displays the same error and, after i click "OK", it opens de file manager... i don't know what to do or what it could be. Im running Windows 10 PRO, version 1703. Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you recently updated the system or modified the registry?

You can firstly boot into Safe Mode to reduce the conflict between third-party software, then open cmd.exe again to see if it can work.

You can logon with another user account to see if the problem still exists. If there is no such error pop up with another user account, it may be caused by corrupted user account. You can fix the problem by deleting the corrupted user account and logon with a new one.

If the problem still exists, I consider that there is something wrong with the registry and you can type regedit in Search Box and delete the registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.BAT\UserChoice"

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:28 AM