SharePoint 2007 Trial Configuration problem? RRS feed

• Question

• After installation of SharePoint Server 2007 Trial edition (I chose Basic Installation, BTW) which I downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=2E6E5A9C-EBF6-4F7F-8467-F4DE6BD6B831&displaylang=en

There is a need to configure it. So I run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard (actually, it ran automatically after installation). Then in the middle of the configuration. When it says 6 or 7 out of 10 task is complete the configuration failed and it showed this message.

"An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException was thrown. Additional exception information: Provisioning did not suceed. Details: The site template was not provisioned succesfully. Delete this site collection in Central Administration, and then create a new site cp;;ection. Original Exception: The Office SharePoint Server Standard Web application features must be activated at the web application level before this can be activated"

Ok, so that's a lot! Where do I start on fixing this?

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi EAOA,

Please try to browse the Central Administration Site in Start > Administrative Tools > SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration. Can it open successfully?
    If yes, please try to create a new web application SharePoint – 80.
    Run this command: psconfig.exe –cmd upgrade –inplace b2b –force and wait for Configuration Wizard complete.

Also try the solution on this blog.

Best regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:52 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:14 AM

All replies

• You also posted this exact question to the Development/Programming forum.

By doing so you created duplicate threads which would have wasted the time of many forum readers if I had not seen and then deleted that duplicate thread.

In future post any one question ONCE only.

P.S. The Programming forum is in any case way off-topic for a post about installation problems.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

You may try these psconfig commands in the order I mentioned below:

To run psconfig.exe from the command line, navigate to the %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin folder, and then type the commands by using the following syntax:

1. psconfig.exe -cmd adminvs -unprovision

2. psconfig.exe -cmd adminvs -provision -port 8080 -windowsauthprovider onlyusentlm

Once above command completed successfully, Please run the sharepoint products and technologies wizard, it then skips the step 7.

Best Regards, Ashok Yadala
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Thanks a-Yadala for answering, I will try that and will let you know what happens. Thanks again.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:58 AM
  • @a-Yadala: Configuration still failed displaying the same error message. Here is the complete message.

"Configuration Failed..

One or more configuration settings failed. Completed configuration settings will not be rolled back. Resolve the problem and run the configuration wizard again. The following contains detailed information about the failure:

Failed to create sample data.

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException was thrown. Additional exception information: Provisioning did not suceed. Details: The site template was not provisioned succesfully. Delete this site collection in Central Administration, and then create a new site cp;;ection. Original Exception: The Office SharePoint Server Standard Web application features must be activated at the web application level before this can be activated

To diagnose the problem, review the application event log and the configuration log file located at

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_4_5_2011_284_1024229219

Would it be helpful if I post the contents of the log? Is there another way to fix the error?

I can however access the central administration site, btw.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Hi EAOA,

Please try to browse the Central Administration Site in Start > Administrative Tools > SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration. Can it open successfully?
    If yes, please try to create a new web application SharePoint – 80.
    Run this command: psconfig.exe –cmd upgrade –inplace b2b –force and wait for Configuration Wizard complete.

Also try the solution on this blog.

Best regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:52 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:14 AM