"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error after database server ip address change RRS feed

• Question

• Our database server contains sharepoint config and content databases, and yesterday it has been moved from our data center, because of the ip address changes our sharepoint app received config database can not found error, by adding a route from sharepoint server, issue has been fixed, so I can at least access Central Administration page.

Unfortunately sharepoint web app is still down, and I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" everytime I browse, web app uses form based authentication and ssl, and I can not even succesfully ping the address from the sharepoint server.

Does anybody see what might be affecting web app, nothing has changed except web apps ip address, it still has the same server name.

I don't see much in sharepoint logs, it makes thing that requests don't make it to the sharepoint at all.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hello Erinc,

From the problem description it seems that there a some firewall /communication issues going on between your database server and SharePoint.  Bust then you mentioned that you are able to access your central Admin site.

What errors do you see in the event viewer . Can you please post some of them so that we can get more updates .

Also can you test the connectivity of the SharePoint and SQL via a UDL file . Below are the steps that you may want to follow

Log in to SharePoint box  with service account .Create a txt file called test.udl.
    Make sure it does NOT have the .txt extension and that the. udl file is associated with OLE Microsoft DB Core Services.
    Right-click on test.udl and validate that "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" exists in the OLE DB Providers list.
    Click 'Connections' tab and enter the server name where your DB exists.
    Select "Use Windows NT integrated security' radio button.
    Click' Test Connection' button. (if connection fails…  validate the db server name)
    Click the "Select the database on the server' radio button.
    Click the drop down below and select databases on the list and click "Test Connection' button.
    All connection tests should pass.

If UDL check fails please post the error message you see ..

============================================
    Regards
    Manas-MSFT

• Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:31 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 6:53 PM