AppV 5: on xenapp and workstation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we are implementing app-v 5.0 on xenapp and on workstations.

we plan to use one publising server and one management server.

when i publish an application to a user group, it will be published to xenapp shared desktop and to the workstation a user logs on.

is it possible to control wich application is published only to xenapp or only to workstation, because we have apps we don't want on xenapp for example google earth.

Thanks in advance,

Johnny Bos

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

When you create the package you can limit which operating system it executes on.

Select Customize during the wizard and select which OS the package can execute on

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:24 AM
  • With the App-V 5 Management Server, you can also target computer accounts. For example, you could target the desktops with Google Chrome but not the XenApp servers. This requires enabling this functionality on the client (i.e. when adding a publishing server, adding it globally).

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, April 1, 2013 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,

When you create the package you can limit which operating system it executes on.

Select Customize during the wizard and select which OS the package can execute on

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:24 AM
  • With the App-V 5 Management Server, you can also target computer accounts. For example, you could target the desktops with Google Chrome but not the XenApp servers. This requires enabling this functionality on the client (i.e. when adding a publishing server, adding it globally).

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, April 1, 2013 12:58 PM
  • Thanks znack, how simple could lt be.

of course i know this option is there, we always select all os, but your comment solves my problem, no i will select the oprating system where i want to run it on.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Thanks Aaron, the solution znack provides can i use in most cases.

but now i realise, in some cases we need to publish apps to computers instead of users, tested it and it works.
    in this case i make a ad group with computeraccounts in it and publish it to this group.

is publishing an app to a computer called publishing globally?

i do not understand this part of your text "This requires enabling this functionality on the client (i.e. when adding a publishing server, adding it globally)."

the only thing i do is publish the app to a group containing computeraccounts.

could you explain this to me?

Thanks,

Johnny Bos

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:43 AM