Rebuild Search Exchange Index Catalog RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Although, I refereed to numerous of threads/ articles over the internet, but couldn't found out as how much exact/approx time would be taken to recreate the Exchange Search Catalog in Exchange Server 2007. Is there any specific chart or consideration to it or not. One of my Database have a corrupt catalog for which no mailbox in that database id able to use search option of OWA. I want to repair that. Found the article and related steps to rebuild it.

However now my question is that, how much time would it take to recreate it for a single DB. Does it depends upon the DB size, CPU etc etc.

And what could be done if the catalog gets deleted once, but unable to recreate then after.

For reference: My Mailbox have 24 storage group, with 1 DB each. Each DB is full of 214 Mailboxes and each Mailbox is 200MB.

Can any of my fried help me in this?

Thanks!!

Friday, August 26, 2011 10:02 AM

Answers

• Thanks Sukh. I do completely agree with you. So, now when I got a rough idea, I would be able to calculate it for my Database too. Finally, the  second question still recides, which is , what can I do if the Search service does not starts again, as I have went through many posts where admins do face this problem. Is that really so? Can you please answer this.

Thanks again for your extended assistance.

Well, your second question was "What if the search catalog gets deleted and does not gets re-created." , not "what can I do if the Search service does not start again" :)

if the index isnt created, your mailboxes and stores will continue to function. Users in Outlook cache mode (depending on Outlook version) will still be able to search their mailboxes locally. Of course searching against the INDEXES for online Outlook clients , OWA, etc... wont work ( In theory, advanced, non-indexed searches will continue to work)

If the search service wont start, that is a different problem and one that would have to be troubleshot in the usual way, checking event logs, diags, and maybe ultimately opening a case with Microsoft support.

By the way, the time to create indexes varies each time depending on server load. What may take 40 minutes for a store one day, may be 2 hours the next time.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, August 29, 2011 2:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:08 AM
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:05 PM
    1. As mentioned search service would be a different issue,  If you've had this issue before in your env then investigate this 1st.  If you've been reading other posts then it doesnt mean your enc will experience this too, it can do but it's not a expected process when building indexes.  I would focus on the rebuild of indexes and then deal with search service if that issue comes your way, there could be a number of reasons why or the cause so there isnt something I can say that you can do do prevent this.  All I can say is do the usual troubleshooting if the issue occurs and take it from there.

Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, August 29, 2011 2:40 AM
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:10 PM

All replies

• if you use the scripts in the scripts directory you should not face issues like index not beeing created. i am sure

you may have gone through intructions at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995966(EXCHG.80).aspx.

Typically full crawl does not last long. you may want to test for one database first database and note the time it took as baseline

you can track starting and ending of crawling with the events  109 and 110  repsectively from "MsExchange Search Indexer"

alternatively you may want to moniter the counter

MSExchange Search Indices\Full Crawl Mode Status

before you start it should be 0 during indexing it should be 1 and when it finished it will again go to 0

Thank you

Dhruv
    Friday, August 26, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Hello Dhruvaraj,

Yes, that was the first article I went through, but I am not following that, as I found thread where admins got error due to the script. I am following it with a shell command which is parallel to that script. The shell is: Get-MailboxDatabase “Mailbox04\DB15\Mailbox04 DB 15” | ResetSearchIndex.ps1 [-force]

I am never concerned about full text crawling, because that is something which would act in background. I am concerned only about two things.

1. How much expected time it will take the script to recreate the Search catalog for a single database. Since I have to do only for a single database, there's no condition of testing. We are so concerned about the downtime of "Exchange Search Service" because most of our customers do use OWA (hence this service should be ON for any condition)

2. What if the search catalog gets deleted and does not gets re-created.

Thanks !!

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:48 PM
    1. Similar env, with exch 2007 SP2.  2 CCR clusters, it was completed with 8 hours.  There were 26 SG on each CCR clusters.  Unfortunelty there isnt a chart, it depends on your database and contents etc..
    2. You can either do it manually or use the scripts as you know, they will get completed and I havent had any issue in my experience, also, the event logs will show when they start and finish so you can check there.
    3. You have to rebuild at some point as you have an issue otherwise you wouldnt be doing it, if your concerned then maybe start the process on the weekend if your env isnt 24x7 or if it is, the least peak time.

Sukh
    Friday, August 26, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Thanks Sukh. I do completely agree with you. So, now when I got a rough idea, I would be able to calculate it for my Database too. Finally, the  second question still recides, which is , what can I do if the Search service does not starts again, as I have went through many posts where admins do face this problem. Is that really so? Can you please answer this.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:02 AM

Well, your second question was "What if the search catalog gets deleted and does not gets re-created." , not "what can I do if the Search service does not start again" :)

if the index isnt created, your mailboxes and stores will continue to function. Users in Outlook cache mode (depending on Outlook version) will still be able to search their mailboxes locally. Of course searching against the INDEXES for online Outlook clients , OWA, etc... wont work ( In theory, advanced, non-indexed searches will continue to work)

If the search service wont start, that is a different problem and one that would have to be troubleshot in the usual way, checking event logs, diags, and maybe ultimately opening a case with Microsoft support.

By the way, the time to create indexes varies each time depending on server load. What may take 40 minutes for a store one day, may be 2 hours the next time.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, August 29, 2011 2:39 AM
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:05 PM
    1. As mentioned search service would be a different issue,  If you've had this issue before in your env then investigate this 1st.  If you've been reading other posts then it doesnt mean your enc will experience this too, it can do but it's not a expected process when building indexes.  I would focus on the rebuild of indexes and then deal with search service if that issue comes your way, there could be a number of reasons why or the cause so there isnt something I can say that you can do do prevent this.  All I can say is do the usual troubleshooting if the issue occurs and take it from there.

Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, August 29, 2011 2:40 AM
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Thanks Sukh & Andy,

I am doing some more research on this, and would plan may be over next weekend, then I may again get back back with outcome.

Thanks !!

Sunday, August 28, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Hello All,

Is there any command to check the indexing status for a single Database in Exchange 2007 CCR except for Test-ExchangeSearch command.

Thanks.

Monday, October 24, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Hello Sanjiv,

Hope there's no other command for the same. There's no command for database level, as I know.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:12 PM