Migrate Windows NT to Windows XP as a Virtual PC (Licencing Query) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was hoping you would be able to help me with an issue I have.

I have an old Windows NT 4.0 workstation (Retail licence) that is used for old database data lookups on the rare occasion. The software within NT 4.0 cannot be migrated to XP. The hardware running Windows NT 4.0 is starting to fail.

I was wondering if it is legal to convert the physical hard drive in the Windows NT machine to a Virtual Machine (using VMware or Virtual PC) and use it as a guest machine on a fully licensed retail Windows XP PC?
    Monday, August 15, 2011 12:33 AM

All replies

• I don't know the licensing info personally, but here is a link to the Microsoft licensing website.

https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:25 AM
  • One can install NT 4.0 Workstation in a Virtual PC, but one cannot convert an existing installation into a Virtual PC.  Please see: Installing Windows NT 4.0 Workstation under Virtual PC
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:34 AM
  • One can install NT 4.0 Workstation in a Virtual PC, but one cannot convert an existing installation into a Virtual PC.  Please see: Installing Windows NT 4.0 Workstation under Virtual PC
    Carey Frisch
    There is software available that is able to P2V (Physical-to-virtual) NT 4.0.  As there is not a comparable Microsoft product, I don't think they'd mind me mentioning that VMware does have that software available.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:13 AM
  • I've found it is 'possible' with VMware.

The main thing I'm asking here is, is it legal in a business environment.

Say this business had their licencing checked by Microsoft, would this NT Virtual Machine be a 'No-No'?

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:36 AM