none
Projects Link in Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an interesting question on the Projects link shown below. I have a 2 PWA site collections in Project Online. Is there a way to modify the Projects link to point to a specific PWA instance? A given user might only have permissions to 1 PWA site and not the other.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Roland

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Roland,

If you have more than 1 instance and if the user has only access to 1 of the instances, he will not be able to navigate to the instance I has no visibility on by clicking on "projects". Meaning that the "projects" link takes into account the security settings.

That being said, if a user or admin can access more than 1 instance, clicking on the "projects" link will display the first created instance or the first one in alphabetical order. I actually could not test this.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I tried this in our instance. We're using Office 365 accounts though so Dirsync isn't setup yet. My account only has permissions to pwa1 and not pwa. What I'm seeing is that when I click on the Projects link, I get redirected to pwa and my guess is because that instance was created first.

So security settings aren't taken into account.

Thanks,

Roland

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:24 PM
  • This isn't very flexible Roland - just hard coded to the first PWA I'm afraid - regardless of permissions. And if you didn't use the first one (deleted it) and used others then it would not find anything.  Nota good story here...

Sorry,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

• Marked as answer by Roland G29 Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:25 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. One more follow-up question. So it sounds like if we plan on migrating from /pwa to /pwa2, we probably shouldn't do that. Intead we should migrate from /pwa2 back to /pwa. Then delete /pwa2.

Is that correct?

PWA is the first instance with Project Web App enabled.

Thanks,

Roland

• Edited by Roland G29 Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:32 PM
  • Correct Roland - that would give the better experience.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

• Marked as answer by Roland G29 Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:45 PM
    Owner
  • Got it thanks Brian!
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:48 PM