Startup and logon times RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My testing with windows 8.1 x64 on an i5 with 8g of ram, no apps (only drivers) has produced the following times when logging on a new user (creating the profile):

ctrl-alt-del to desktop 38 secs

added to domain no policy

ctrl-alt-del to desktop 60 secs

these times are more than twice as much than windows 7 on the same machine.

This is important to us as we use deepfreeze in our school and every user logging on creates a new profile.

my question is as follows:

is this considered an acceptable time and what can I do to improve it? When I install all of our applications these times get even greater and is causing our users great concern.

• Edited by Chris in AU Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:48 AM update
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:42 AM

All replies

• 60 seconds is considered a lot.

Try using a utility like xperf to see where the culprit is.

Also run rsop.msc to see if any policies are pushing down that you are not aware of.

Do you have AV loaded? can you remove it for testing if so?

There is an option to turn on fast boot (not sure if related) but it says not to wait until network card is detected can you turn it on for testing?

What happens if you try to login without the network plugged? Does it go any faster?

What happens if you login with local account? does that work fine?

Are you using any type of roaming profiles? (I do not think so based on your feed back).

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hi, 

If you use roaming profile of your domain account, it will take some times for first configuration when you log on current computer. 

Try steps webguru72 provided. 

To be added, refer to this Microsoft article named "Audit Account Logon Events".
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc976367.aspx

You will find what you need to know.

You should check event viewer logs to view the logged events.

Regards,

Kate Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 4, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Hi I would like to thank everyone for the replies.

Let me explain my testing procedure.

1. install windows 8.1 enterprise

2. add necessary hardware drivers.

3. no added software (no apps, AV, updates or anything else).

4. logon with the local account created during build, create new user account.

5. logoff and logon with the new account, measure the time taken until I get a usable desktop.

6. add the computer to the domain, do not reboot.  Turn the computer off so it will get no policies.

7. move the computer to an OU with no group policies

8. restart the computer

9. use a domain user account that is in an OU with no group policies, measure the time it takes to logon.

so there is no AV, roaming profile, no policies.

I will read up on audit account logon events, I am under duress to reduce the logon times so i thank you all for your help.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 12:26 AM