none
Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot and Differencing Disks

Question

• I'm planning high density Hyper-V environment for development purposes and I was thinking of using shared sysprepped parent disk and assigning a differencing disk to each VM. I want to back it all up using DPM's Child Partition Snapshot.

How will DPM backup the shared parent disk? Will it get backed up only once or each time with each virtual machine?

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 10:04 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

DPM relies on the hyper-v writer to determine what files to backup for a Guest.  The hyper-V writer includes the parent .vhd in each VM configured as a differencing disk.  It does this because a differencing disk by itself is useless, and each VM needs to be able to restored as a standalone VM to the same or alternate hyper-v host.  So DPM will include the parent .vhd as part of the backup for any guest configured to use it for a differencing disk.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:03 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

DPM relies on the hyper-v writer to determine what files to backup for a Guest.  The hyper-V writer includes the parent .vhd in each VM configured as a differencing disk.  It does this because a differencing disk by itself is useless, and each VM needs to be able to restored as a standalone VM to the same or alternate hyper-v host.  So DPM will include the parent .vhd as part of the backup for any guest configured to use it for a differencing disk.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:03 AM
  • Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:13 PM