none
Moving virtual pc VM from one drive to another drive on the name computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -- 

Is there a way to move a VM (virtual pc) from one drive to another on the same pc? 

I tired to just change the drive letters in the *.vmc and *.vmcx  files and that this not work -- it actually 

rewrote the vmxc file to the original values 

I copied all the files for the VM  then re-mounted the new disk as the old drive letter and that this no work -- it said that the vdk file was  invalid, but using fc.exe is compares exactly the same ans the original file 

This all does not make any sense -- VM are meant to move around 

any help would be appreciated 

Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:06 AM

All replies

• Did you go to the settings of your VM and check hard disk 1?

It should have a path of where that vdk or vhd lives. As long as the VM is powered off you should be able to change the path there to the new path.

• Proposed as answer by Zach Sterns Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:29 AM
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Did you go to the settings of your VM and check hard disk 1?

It should have a path of where that vdk or vhd lives. As long as the VM is powered off you should be able to change the path there to the new path.

Hello –

Thanks for the reply

I know exactly were all the files are –  

The VHD files were created from a backup of the xp system and in a folder call v-drives

The VMC file is in a folder call v-machine and

both folders are on a usb drive mounted at G:

The VMCX file is in the default place %userprofile%\virtual machines

I recall that this file was created by the VM wizard

There seems to be some sort of   key/id in im-bedded someplace that prevents me from
    move this configuration to another drive even on the same PC

The new drive is a SATA drive that I just put in the computer

Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:53 AM
  • Yes, but did you check the setting of the VM machine?
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Yes, but did you check the setting of the VM machine?
    Thanks for the reply 

I am not sure I understand your question – 

I went to the VM’s setting via vpcsettings.exe – when I tried to change the location of the VHD files – when I just changed the drive letter from “G:” to “I:” (this is where I copied the VHD’s exactly as with all the same spelling from the G: drive) 

“Settings” reports that the VHD on I: is invalid 

but if I compare the VHD’s on the G: and I: drive with fc.exe, they compare exactly 

So It seems to me that  there is some sort of key/SSID of the original location someplace, maybe the registry – I wish someone from MS could confirm how this works 

Thanks 
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Oh yes, thats what I was meaning.... Umm. I thought for sure that is where you would change that. Your registry idea might have some weight to it. I wish I could be of more help.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Hello -- Thanks for your reply ...  would you know ( or anyone reading) who can answer this question? 
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:56 PM
  • Did you get this?

I just tried to duplicate what I thought was going to work, and your right.... no dice.

Friday, November 8, 2013 12:10 AM
  • fpefpe,

Are you sure you moved the right VHD? If your VM is shutdown, and you go to

C:\Users\*Your User Name*\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines

That is where you should get your vhd file to move... I noticed that there is also a VHD file located at

C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode

Friday, November 8, 2013 12:43 AM
  • Hello – Thanks for the reply .... Yes I moved all the correct files .... The VM was created from a conversion of back up images, so had full control where they were saved .... at the time I did not have ample space so I saved the VHD’s on a usb drive  in a dir call “vdrives” and the control files in a dir call vmachines 

I think when I started up the VM the vmcx file was created in the default location. 

The usb drive was attached to the w7 sys as “G:” 

Now I have a 4TB drive in the computer and I “cloned” the usb drive to the new SATA drive using robycopy and mounted the SATA drive at G: and moved the usb drive to P: 

vpcsettings.exe reported the files on the new drive invalid – 

I guess the moral of the story is to use vmware 

Does anyone know if microsoft dev’s read this stuff? 

Thanks 

Friday, November 8, 2013 1:57 AM