none
Share point to purchase / buy or download RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Could someone advise me on which share point to purchase / buy or download that works with

a) window 2010 and that can be use to create

b) web application via the internet

and

c) web application via the intranet ? 

I have a link on the bottom that I could download and is free but is only the Share point designer, not the administrator. 

Is there a place where I can download or buy online the whole package that can work for a, b and c ? 

Thanks ! 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35491

Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Johnseito11.

You should buy licenses for SharePoint Server 2013 (at least) or SharePoint Server 2016, since SharePoint 2010 end of life is getting closer. Keep in mind that you need one server license for each server that will run SharePoint and one client license for each user/device that will connect to SharePoint. You could also consider buying an Office 365 subscription and leveraging SharePoint Online, which reduces the burden related to installing, configuring and managing on premises servers.
    The link you've included in your question points to the download page for SharePoint Designer 2013: that tool can be used only if you already have a SharePoint Server 2013 installation in place.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:43 PM
  • Hi Johnseito,

You cannot install sharepoint server on client operating system like windows 10. As luigi has mentioned you should purchase an office 365 subscription. O365 is basically a set of cloud based services from microsoft and with O365 you will have many more things like - teams, streams, powerapps , flow, planner etc. You can use a trial subscription for 1 month before you purchase - 

https://products.office.com/en-gb/try

K Mohit

Saturday, September 28, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Thanks for your answer and advise. 

I think my 365 subscription doesn't include SharePoint (have to double check on it). 

The current infrastructure that I have is that I have SharePoint 2010 on a server.

In my opinion and maybe I am wrong is that I think managing, installing and configuring on premises servers is better because you own it and controls it rather than having everything done by vendor or is on the cloud. I think to truly own the product is to have it on premises, maybe you disagree and I am wrong.

When you say one server license for each server and one client license to connect to it. I think that should work because we only need the one SharePoint on one server that is use to create the web application and one client license as this person is the administrator and developer of the SharePoint server. However our client or customer to connect or log into the web application are unlimited. I am not sure if this is what you meant. 

Saturday, September 28, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Thanks for your answer and advise. 

I think my 365 subscription doesn't include SharePoint (have to double check on it). 

The current infrastructure that I have is that I have SharePoint 2010 on a server.

In my opinion and maybe I am wrong is that I think managing, installing and configuring on premises servers is better because you own it and controls it rather than having everything done by vendor or is on the cloud. I think to truly own the product is to have it on premises, maybe you disagree and I am wrong.

When you say one server license for each server and one client license to connect to it. I think that should work because we only need the one SharePoint on one server that is use to create the web application and one client license as this person is the administrator and developer of the SharePoint server. However our client or customer to connect or log into the web application are unlimited. I am not sure if this is what you meant. 

SharePoint licensing model is bases on server licenses and client licenses: in order to be compliant with that model, you need to buy a server license for each server where SharePoint is installed (or being installed) and one client access license for each client (user/device) that will access SharePoint.
    I agree with your opinion about on premises versus in cloud: there are pros and cons in both the approaches and you have to decide according to your requirements.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Great, 

Can I use this purchase (below) for small business, that can create internet and intranet. 

And have one install on a server and one user for developing or administering it ? 

With the web application having many, many clients ?  

https://www.ecrater.com/p/32217313/microsoft-sharepoint-server-2019-enterprise?gps=1&id=115929942499&gclid=CjwKCAjwibzsBRAMEiwA1pHZribHV7M75Bjh8khO-XIm9aNALd0OBIkkf8rGrpxwopKnQGBobHCZjxoCqXMQAvD_BwE

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:31 AM
  • one client access license for each client (user/device) that will access SharePoint.

How about one client access not remote into the server but to connect to the server from a client downloaded into the person desktop ?

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

I strongly recommend you purchase the SharePoint licenses from official portal. 

SharePoint Server 2019 supports up to 2 million users per site collection. What you should really take into consideration is the system, hardware and software prerequisites for deploying SharePoint on-premise.

As Luigi said, SharePoint licensing model is bases on server licenses and client licenses, so you only need to buy one license since you will have only one server. Meanwhile, SharePoint CALs are required for each person or device accessing a SharePoint Server.

Please refer to the links below for detailed information.

SharePoint 2019 licensing.

Hardware and software requirements for SharePoint Server 2019.

Software boundaries and limits for SharePoint Servers 2016 and 2019.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, September 30, 2019 8:19 AM
  • one client access license for each client (user/device) that will access SharePoint.

How about one client access not remote into the server but to connect to the server from a client downloaded into the person desktop ?

If users are accessing SharePoint resources from their computers, there must be a client access license for each user/device that will access SharePoint.
    You can read more about SharePoint licensing at https://products.office.com/en-us/sharepoint/sharepoint-licensing-overview.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, September 30, 2019 8:33 AM
  • If users are accessing SharePoint resources from their computers, there must be a client access license for each user/device that will access SharePoint.

==========

How about if they are remote users meaning they remote into the server and use the administration and designer, these can be unlimited ? 

Thanks for the link. I will be reading it.

• Edited by Johnseito11 Monday, September 30, 2019 11:25 AM
    Monday, September 30, 2019 11:24 AM
  • If users are accessing SharePoint resources from their computers, there must be a client access license for each user/device that will access SharePoint.

==========

How about if they are remote users meaning they remote into the server and use the administration and designer, these can be unlimited ? 

Thanks for the link. I will be reading it.

It can be, but allowing users to access the SharePoint server is not a recommended and good practice: only the SharePoint administrators should be granted access to the server(s) in the SharePoint farm.
    Also there must be different accounts (one for each user), thus again the need for client access licenses. Furthermore, allowing a huge amount of RDP connections to the server will make it performing poorly, thus making it unable to perform its SharePoint tasks and activities.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, September 30, 2019 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. 

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 7, 2019 1:26 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for posting in this forum. It will benefit others who meet similar questions. 

Here I will provide a summary of this post for your information.

[SharePoint to purchase / buy or download - Summary]

Request/Expectation 
    ====================
    Suggestions on what version of SharePoint to purchase:

a) System: Windows 2010

b) Web applications via the Intranet and Internet

Suggestions
    ====================
    For SharePoint Server, you should purchase licenses for SharePoint Server 2013 or higher version, but you cannot install SharePoint Server on client operating system like windows 2010.

SharePoint licensing model is bases on server licenses and client licenses: in order to be compliant with that model, you need to buy a server license for each server where SharePoint is installed (or being installed) and one client access license for each client (user/device) that will access SharePoint.

You can also purchase an Office 365 subscription leveraging SharePoint Online, which will meet the system requirement.

References
    ====================
    SharePoint Online:

https://products.office.com/en-us/try

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/sharepoint-online-service-description/sharepoint-online-service-description

SharePoint Server 2019:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57462

https://products.office.com/en-us/sharepoint/sharepoint-licensing-overview

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/hardware-and-software-requirements-2019

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/software-boundaries-and-limits-0

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, October 7, 2019 9:40 AM