File Replication Software RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to find a tool to replicate shares amongst several servers connected via a WAN. The servers are running Windows 2000 at the branches and Windows 2003 at headoffice. I am aware that there are several several fee based software/hardware solution out there but here the challange comes - I will need something that is for free or based on scripts.

I was thinking looking into creating a scheduled script that uses xcopy but without getting into the heavy and deep end of scripting I am afraid this will be a lost cause.

Do any you have any suggestions please? 
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• You mean like Server 2008's Distributed File Systems?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 8:34 PM
  •  

Hi,

Distributed File System (DFS) feature which utilizes FRS (File Replication Service) to replicate files and folder in Windows 2003 server and Windows 2000 server may meet your need.

DFS will help you to manage your shares and update them automatically. Users can access all shares using one name.

DFS allows administrators to group shared folders located on different servers by transparently connecting them to one or more DFS namespaces. For more information, please refer to the following articles.

Distributed File System Technology Center

Does it meet your requirement? If you would like to setup DFS, please refer to the following article for more suggestions.

Designing DFS Namespaces

After that, we have to enable FRS replication

You need install DFS on Windows 2000.

Thanks

• Edited by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:05 AM e
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Monday, November 24, 2008 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:03 AM
  • Oh my word - I cannot believe I did not think about this myself. Thanks for the help - will investigate and test.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:29 AM