Dialogue Box size RRS feed

• Question

• Some dialogue boxes we can resize and many (most) we can not. This is as stuck on stupid as stuck on stupid can be.

Today's screens are 1920x1080 and many people have two of them. There is a ton of real estate (a hectare?) to work with. Yet when we open a dialogue box we have to pick through an ant's ____ to find what we're looking for. And the idiot coders still bury things 20 levels deep inside Windows when they should be right up front.

The year is 2010. It's now been 20 years since Bill Gates stole everything he stole to make Windows and you still don't have it right.

Question: Should We The Sheeple expect to tolerate this nonsense for another 20 years, or is someone going to FINALLY stop coding this software to have teeny tiny stupid ____ dialogue boxes which totally suck ____?

Sunday, December 19, 2010 1:16 PM

Answers

• I've done exactly what you describe:

1. Went to Device Manager, picked an item, Properties, clicked Update Driver, then Browse My Computer.
    2. I could easily see what drive I'm in.  The dialog that opened was also indeed expandable to any size I wanted (I only dragged down though).
    3. Drivers are available either in your System folder, or if your manufacturer (Dell in my case) decides otherwise, it can be this way as well.
    As you can see in the picture below, everything you asked for is indeed possible.
    As you can see, I've gone to Computer > C: Drive > Dell > Drivers.

If it is still to small for your taste, I would suggest the DPI settings described above, to resolve your original issue of dialog box size.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by hmmmm..... _ Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:09 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 8:35 PM

All replies

• I'm using the same resolution and have no issue to click on dialog boxes. Can you make a screenshot of you issue?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:23 PM
  • This is what DPI settings (as opposed to resolution) is for.  It allows you to have display elements rendered larger, but without the compromise of lowering your resolution (which causes poor image quality and artifacts).

Just type DPI into your Start menu, choose the link for "Make text and other items larger or smaller" and then choose Medium or Large.

Please note that this is not the same as adjusting the size in the Appearance/Themes settings.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Go to Device Manager, select any item, properties, update driver, browse my computer

Look at that stupid little dialogue box which we are expected to navigate dozens of layers deep inside windows, knowing at all times where we are with zero view of the big picture. ____, you can't even see what drive your in.

A smart person would:

A) Make that dialogue box expandable to full screen so we can navigate our computer, and,

B) Have a folder System/Drivers and all drivers would be in there.

That's just one example of the continual stupid ____ in Windows which should not be there after 20 years.

But no. Some coke bottled moron thinks it's best the way it is, is too lazy to change it, or simply does not give a ____.

Monday, December 20, 2010 1:47 PM
  • The boxes are fine for me. Which monitor do you use? I'm usng the default DP settings and everything is fine.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, December 20, 2010 3:40 PM
  • I've done exactly what you describe:

1. Went to Device Manager, picked an item, Properties, clicked Update Driver, then Browse My Computer.
    2. I could easily see what drive I'm in.  The dialog that opened was also indeed expandable to any size I wanted (I only dragged down though).
    3. Drivers are available either in your System folder, or if your manufacturer (Dell in my case) decides otherwise, it can be this way as well.
    As you can see in the picture below, everything you asked for is indeed possible.
    As you can see, I've gone to Computer > C: Drive > Dell > Drivers.

If it is still to small for your taste, I would suggest the DPI settings described above, to resolve your original issue of dialog box size.

• Marked as answer by hmmmm..... _ Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:09 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Thank you Shawn for clarifying that. People get used to seeing a stupidly sized box and having to fight their way through it and see only the red X top left and the presumption is that it's the same old trash they've been producing for decades. It helps very much to know that the boxes today are expandable by dragging the bottom right corner.

Thanks again. You get the cookie :)

Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:09 PM