none
HIS 2009 - Virtual Environment RRS feed

Answers

• Kumaran,
    HIS 2009 is unlikely to have made any difference as the code/algorithm used for the hpr/arb stuff is probably going to
    be the same. However, virtualisation technology has moved on since this issue was documented - back then it was
    referring to Vmware 3.x and MS Virtual Server. Now we have Vsphere 4.0 and Hyper-V both with improved networking,
    clock/timing and performance.
    That's not a definitive answer I know, but the issue referred to below I believe was really only affecting very high
    volume / "data transfer" type applications. As such unless your application(s) match this profile don't worry. And
    even if they do match the profile it's still worth performance testing under whatever your chosen virtualisation
    technology is to see.
    > I read the following blog in MSDN regarding timing issues when using HIS 2004 or 2006 servers in a Virtual environment. This is a specific issue relating communications over IP-DLC using Enterprise Extender in the IBM Mainframes.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I would like to know if the issue is also happening with HIS 2009 servers. We are planning to upgrade to HIS 2009 and moving from DLC to IP-DLC. This is a critical point for me to decide whether to go for virtual or physical servers.
    >
    >
    >
    > Kindly help me. Thanks in advance.

Neil Pike
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hi Kumaran,

I'm actually running HIS 2006 SP1 and HIS 2009 on VMWare ESX without any problems. We also use the IPDLC Protocol for CICS. We've never encountered a problem.

VMWare KB : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005807

This patch also includes fixes for the following issues:

The following hardware and software is affected:

• IBM AS/400 Mainframe
    • Microsoft Host Integration Services (HIS)
    • IBM Systems Network Architecture (SNA)

Recent fix : Feb 23, 2010

Best Regards,

Steve

Steve Melan - BCEE
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:47 AM

All replies

• Kumaran,
    HIS 2009 is unlikely to have made any difference as the code/algorithm used for the hpr/arb stuff is probably going to
    be the same. However, virtualisation technology has moved on since this issue was documented - back then it was
    referring to Vmware 3.x and MS Virtual Server. Now we have Vsphere 4.0 and Hyper-V both with improved networking,
    clock/timing and performance.
    That's not a definitive answer I know, but the issue referred to below I believe was really only affecting very high
    volume / "data transfer" type applications. As such unless your application(s) match this profile don't worry. And
    even if they do match the profile it's still worth performance testing under whatever your chosen virtualisation
    technology is to see.
    > I read the following blog in MSDN regarding timing issues when using HIS 2004 or 2006 servers in a Virtual environment. This is a specific issue relating communications over IP-DLC using Enterprise Extender in the IBM Mainframes.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I would like to know if the issue is also happening with HIS 2009 servers. We are planning to upgrade to HIS 2009 and moving from DLC to IP-DLC. This is a critical point for me to decide whether to go for virtual or physical servers.
    >
    >
    >
    > Kindly help me. Thanks in advance.

Neil Pike
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Thank you Neil.

I will try to get a Test VM environment. If I am successful. I will post my results here.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:30 AM
  • Hi Kumaran,

I'm actually running HIS 2006 SP1 and HIS 2009 on VMWare ESX without any problems. We also use the IPDLC Protocol for CICS. We've never encountered a problem.

VMWare KB : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005807

This patch also includes fixes for the following issues:

The following hardware and software is affected:

• IBM AS/400 Mainframe
    • Microsoft Host Integration Services (HIS)
    • IBM Systems Network Architecture (SNA)

Recent fix : Feb 23, 2010

Best Regards,

Steve

Steve Melan - BCEE
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:47 AM