Removing Vista from a multiboot with XP & 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system set up to multiboot into XP, Vista, & 7.  I started out with Vista Ultimate installed.  I installed XP pro next and used FreeBSD to fix the bootmanager.  I installed 7 Home Premium last through vista to a third partition.  Now I want to remove the Vista Ultimate from the multiboot and reclaim the disk space that Vista is now using, but I can't seem to do it.  I can remove Vista from the bootmanager, but I can't seem to remove Vista completely.  I get error messages if I try to reformat the partition in windows explorer.  In the MMC disk management console, I don't have the option to format or delete the Vista partition.  I have each OS on it's own partition on one hard drive.  Is there a way to remove Vista without damaging XP or 7 and still have access to both OSs?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:44 PM

Answers

• Insert a Windows XP installaltion disc, boot from it until choosing the partition to install, choose Windows Vista partition and select format it, then eject the Windows XP installation disc. Now insert the Windows 7 installation disc, choose Repair this computer, select Startup Repair. The Startup Repair should repair the boot entries on your computer.

Dale

• Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:10 AM

All replies

• Insert a Windows XP installaltion disc, boot from it until choosing the partition to install, choose Windows Vista partition and select format it, then eject the Windows XP installation disc. Now insert the Windows 7 installation disc, choose Repair this computer, select Startup Repair. The Startup Repair should repair the boot entries on your computer.

Dale

• Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:10 AM
  • I performed the steps that you suggested.  It worked for reformatting the vista partition, but now I don't get the boot menu letting me choose whether to boot XP or 7.  My system boots immediately into 7.  Is it possible to get the boot menu back with both XP and 7?  Is it possible to change the drive letter for windows 7 partition from D: to C:?  The vista partition was drive C.

Shane

• Edited by shogstad Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:08 PM added a question
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:05 PM
  • You could insert Windows 7, boot to command prompt at startup, then use BCDEdit command lines to fix the Windows boot entries. Alternatively, you could also use a third party tool called EasyBCD to edit the boot entry for Windows XP dual boot with Windows 7. For more information, please visit the following sites:

Dual Boot Between Windows XP and Windows 7

Dale

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:15 AM
  • After fixing the boot menu, I haven't been able to get into XP.  I keep getting an error message saying that \ntldr is missing.  I did a system image restore, so I am back to having all 3 OSs.  Would it work to make a system image of just the XP & 7 partitions and just do a system image restore?  Or will the boot manager still be messed up?

Is it possible to change the boot/system drive to a different partition?  My current boot/system drive is the vista drive, but I want it on the 7 drive.  Can I do it?  Or do I have to do a format and reinstall XP & 7?  I found out that I can't use windows 7's system image program without including vista in the image because vista is the boot partition. 

Shane

• Edited by shogstad Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:10 PM added questions
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:01 PM
  • 1. "Would it work to make a system image of just the XP & 7 partitions and just do a system image restore?  Or will the boot manager still be messed up?"

No. If you create a complete system image, it will backup all 3 OSs by default because the 3 OSs share the same boot loader.

2. "Is it possible to change the boot/system drive to a different partition?  My current boot/system drive is the vista drive, but I want it on the 7 drive.  Can I do it?"

Please visit:

Change Vista's 'System' partition / move BCD boot manager?

Please note: we provide the third party link for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Dale

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:25 AM