About some performance monitor counters explanation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After configuring BizTalk server I can see these few performance monitor counters as follows,

Biztalk .NET Adapter for Oracle DB

Biztalk .NET Adapter for Oracle E-business suite

Biztalk .NET Adapter for SAP

Biztalk .NET Adapter for Siebel

Biztalk .NET Adapter for SQL

Any information regarding these counters will be helpful.

• Edited by Villain2409 Friday, September 8, 2017 8:56 AM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Are you using these adapters within your solution like SAP ,Siebel, Oracle E-Business within your application ?

For Biztalk performance counter  ,I always look for related  message box and BizTalk engine run time counters which will let us know the health of BizTalk Environment . I would also suggest to use BizTalk Health Monitor to monitor your Biztalk Environment 

For performance counter reference,you can look at below link

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578394.aspx   

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Friday, September 8, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Please explain what you like to accomplish

The performance counters are populated when you use the components, data generation is built in
    All counters can be displayed through the Performance Monitor or BHM (as recommended)

If you are not using the .NET adapter in your solution no date will be available

/Peter

Friday, September 8, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Let me summarize how I track my Environments health

1) Check Event Logs ( Most errors are logged there and it itself s sufficient most of the times)

2) Run the BizTalk Health Monitor tool to collect a complete report of the environment.

As a last step,

I use perfmon counters. I usually set up a data collector set to collect the counters over some period of time and then I use the Log PArser and PAL ( Performance Analysis Tool) to generate a graphical report of the counters collected. 

So here is what I suggest,

1) Read up about the counters on Performance Counters  and BizTalk Server: Performance Counters 

2) To set up data collector set refer Create a Data Collector Set to Monitor Performance Counters 

3) To read up about the PAL refer Using the Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool 

4) To download it : PAL 

HTH

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Friday, September 8, 2017 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Are you using these adapters within your solution like SAP ,Siebel, Oracle E-Business within your application ?

For Biztalk performance counter  ,I always look for related  message box and BizTalk engine run time counters which will let us know the health of BizTalk Environment . I would also suggest to use BizTalk Health Monitor to monitor your Biztalk Environment 

For performance counter reference,you can look at below link

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578394.aspx   

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Friday, September 8, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Any step by step guide to generate data in those counters will be great and for example, let's do with Biztalk .NET Adapter for SQL.
    • Edited by Villain2409 Friday, September 8, 2017 9:03 AM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 9:01 AM
  • Please explain what you like to accomplish

The performance counters are populated when you use the components, data generation is built in
    All counters can be displayed through the Performance Monitor or BHM (as recommended)

If you are not using the .NET adapter in your solution no date will be available

/Peter

Friday, September 8, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Let me summarize how I track my Environments health

1) Check Event Logs ( Most errors are logged there and it itself s sufficient most of the times)

2) Run the BizTalk Health Monitor tool to collect a complete report of the environment.

As a last step,

I use perfmon counters. I usually set up a data collector set to collect the counters over some period of time and then I use the Log PArser and PAL ( Performance Analysis Tool) to generate a graphical report of the counters collected. 

So here is what I suggest,

1) Read up about the counters on Performance Counters  and BizTalk Server: Performance Counters 

2) To set up data collector set refer Create a Data Collector Set to Monitor Performance Counters 

3) To read up about the PAL refer Using the Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool 

4) To download it : PAL 

HTH

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Friday, September 8, 2017 3:35 PM
  • PAL is a great tool to check for bottlenecks the tool gives a nice overview of performance including all parts and to 

Performance monitor is configured to collect data every day latest 24 hours
    After PAL has chewed the dataset I have a nice report at lunch showing me yesterdays workload

/Peter

Friday, September 8, 2017 3:45 PM