none
Is there a definitive guide or documentation on Status Manager? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to put together some information for my Project Managers on the use and assignment of Status Manager in Project Server 2010, but am unable to find any documentation that spells out precisely how to do the following:

• Who can be a Status Manager (Project Managers only or anybody)?
    • How do you setup someone as a Status Manager if not the Project Owner (most comments and docs I see only involve changing status manager if owner changes. What about if owner stays the same, but some tasks need to be assigned to another person as status manager for select tasks)?
    • Procedure for setting up someone as a Status Manager if accessing through PWA only as well as the client?

Any feedback or a point to some definitive documentation would be helpful?

Thanks, Rick

Rick Frisby

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:59 PM

Answers

• Rick --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  Yes, in order to be a Status Manager, the user must have Project Manager permissions in Project Server.  And yes, the user must also have Microsoft Project because the only way to set the Status Manager value for each task is by using Microsoft Project.  And finally, in order to be a Status Manager for a particular project, the user must have Read/Write permissions to access the project.  The easiest way to accomplish the permissions issue would be for the PM to add the user to the project team in that particular project.  Assuming you have not changed the default permissions in the My Projects category for the Project Managers group, this will automatically grant the user permissions to open, edit, save, and publish the project in question.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Monday, March 24, 2014 5:19 PM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Rick VF --

The other way to allow a non-Owner PM to open the project Read/Write is to open the project and then click File > Info.  On the Info page, you will see a section that allows the Owner to specify special permissions for the project.  Doing this will take the Owner to PWA where those permissions can be configured specifically for one or more non-Owner PMs.  So, you really have two choices, neither of which is terribly hard.

Also, you made a good observation about the Owner and the Status Manager needing to have a trusted working relationship.  This is because the Status Manager WILL be able to edit ANYTHING in the project with Read/Write permissions.  There is no way to lock that down.  If a PM has Read/Write permissions to a project, he/she can change anything.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Monday, March 24, 2014 5:18 PM
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

• the status manager will be the one that will approve task updates that will then update the project plan. Logically it should be the project owner, meaning the project manager, but it could be for example a PCO (project control officer).
    • to set up the status manager, you have to do it through Project Pro, inserting the status manager column and updating it for ALL tasks. Then new tasks will get the new value. Be aware that it has to be done by the user himself since the dropdown menu in the status manager column will only display the old value and the name of the current user. Note also that by default, the project creator is the status manager at project creation. Thus in case a PMO creates the project plan, the status manager has to be changed afterward (putting a process in place could be useful).
    • The status manager cannot be set through PWA but only through Project Pro.

Here are a link about status manager:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/status-manager-task-field-HA010167477.aspx

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your input on this. I understand about the Project Owner being the default Status Manager and the process for changing Status Manager with ownership change. The missing piece of the puzzle is a Project Owner wanting to set somesone else as Status Manager on a series of tasks within their Project. If I read this correct, the Project Owner can't pick another person from a list in the Status Manager field unless the other person opens the project, changes Status Manager on a task(s) to themself, then saves (and publishes?) the project. 

Does that mean that only those with Project Manager access can be a Status Manager? Does that mean that a person who is a Status Manager must have Project Professional (even though approvals are only done in PWA)? Also, typically a person with Project Manager access cannot save/publish a project they do not own, so that would create an interesting dilema on how to get on that Status Manager list. Thoughts...

Rick Frisby

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Rick --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  Yes, in order to be a Status Manager, the user must have Project Manager permissions in Project Server.  And yes, the user must also have Microsoft Project because the only way to set the Status Manager value for each task is by using Microsoft Project.  And finally, in order to be a Status Manager for a particular project, the user must have Read/Write permissions to access the project.  The easiest way to accomplish the permissions issue would be for the PM to add the user to the project team in that particular project.  Assuming you have not changed the default permissions in the My Projects category for the Project Managers group, this will automatically grant the user permissions to open, edit, save, and publish the project in question.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Monday, March 24, 2014 5:19 PM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Hi Dale,

No problem. Thanks for your input. This really does help. The waters are getting less muddy as this gets talked out. Yes, we do have Project Manager access set so PMs can only edit their schedules. Lots of potential program issues and I have seen cache and overwrite issues when multiple PMs access and edit the same schedule. Just trying to figure out the best approach.

So a Status Manager must have Project Manager security access, have MS Project Professional, and be assigned to the Project Team to open, change Status Manager on tasks to themselves, and save/publish the project to affect those changes. Got it. I assume there is nothing preventing that Status Manager from making any other changes to the project schedule, so there needs to be a trust between the Project Owner and Status Manager.

Can this also be accomplished (providing the person has PM rights and MS Project) by granting access open/edit/save/publish permission through Project Permissions without physically being added to the Project Team? Just curious because it looks like you can grant anyone, even a Team Member those rights at a project level. I'm thinking granting the access temporarily to get Status Manager set, then removing would allow the other PM to still review/approve, but not edit. Has anyone tried that route?

Rick Frisby

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Rick VF --

The other way to allow a non-Owner PM to open the project Read/Write is to open the project and then click File > Info.  On the Info page, you will see a section that allows the Owner to specify special permissions for the project.  Doing this will take the Owner to PWA where those permissions can be configured specifically for one or more non-Owner PMs.  So, you really have two choices, neither of which is terribly hard.

Also, you made a good observation about the Owner and the Status Manager needing to have a trusted working relationship.  This is because the Status Manager WILL be able to edit ANYTHING in the project with Read/Write permissions.  There is no way to lock that down.  If a PM has Read/Write permissions to a project, he/she can change anything.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Monday, March 24, 2014 5:18 PM
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:10 AM
  • Thanks Dale, your input and expertise is much appreciated. Thanks for clearing things up :) 

Rick Frisby

Monday, March 24, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Rick VF --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:52 PM