none
Deploying Package/Program to user collection not working RRS feed

• Question

• I need to deploy a program to a user collection. It needs to be ran from within the user context.

The package has a single program with source files. The program is set to run only when a user is logged on and then run with user's rights.

I deployed the package/program to my user collection, set it as required deployment. I add 3 assignment schedules: every hour, as soon as possible and at logon. Rerun behavior is at always rerun program. On the user experience tab, I checked "Allow users to run the program independently of assignments" and to allow software installation outside of maintenance windows.

It's been a few hours now and the program never appeared in the software center for my test user. In the deployment status screen, I see no information: the deployment do exist but there's no data in the Success / In Progress / Error / Requirement Not Met / Unknown tabs.

We are running CB 2002 and this is the first time we actually need to deploy something like this.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 7:48 PM

All replies

• Have you confirmed that the package policy has arrived at computer? Have you reviewed the execmgr.log to see what it says in the log?

Garth Jones

Blog: https://www.enhansoft.com/blog Old Blog: https://sccmug.ca/

Twitter: @GarthMJ Book: System Center Configuration Manager Reporting Unleashed

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 11:00 AM
  • I see no mention of the PackageID in execmgr.log, but I don't know where and how to check if the policy has arrived on the computer.

I guess it would be with PolicySpy, but I don't know what to look for. I tried to compare with another package deployed at machine level but I can't find matching IDs, so I guess i'm looking for the wrong ID. 

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

You may need to check the Policyagnet.log Policy Evaluvator.log and Execmgr.log. I hope this blog post is helpful to you:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/sudheesn/troubleshooting-sccm-part-vi-software-distribution

Packages and programs also include a number of built-in reports, which enable you to monitor information about the deployment status of packages and programs. These reports have the report category of Software Distribution – Packages and Programs and Software Distribution – Package and Program Deployment Status.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:40 AM
  • I deleted my first package and created a new one, but this time I kept an eye on the server-side logs: everything seems to be fine (at least there's no error). However when I deployed it to a user collection I saw this line (emphasis mine):

Successfully signed device policy EP3201B6-EP300766-29C0241E version 1.00 (bodylen=1800)

Wait, what? A device policy?

And findstr did not find anything on the client-side logs when searching for the PackageID or the AdvertisementID.

I'm wondering if some option is misconfigured at the site ou hierarchy level or in the client options?

Friday, June 12, 2020 1:39 AM