none
OSD failed, Package cannot be located on distribution point.

    Question

  • Hi,

    i'm running a test lab with SCCM 2012. I have only one Site Server which is also the Distribution Point and ist doing PXE. I'm booting up a virtual machine, it's loading the WinPE Image and then i can choose my Task Sequence. After this i click Next and the Process immediately Fails with the following error message :

    Failed to run Task sequence
    The task sequence cannot be run because the program files for HQ100001 cannot be located on a distribution point.
    For more Information, contact your System Administrator or Helpdesk Operator.

    HQ100001 is the ID for my Configuration Manager Client Package.

    What i checked is:

    • Content Status Shows that HQ100001 is 100% distributed to the DP.
    • Also all other ressources i am using for this Task Sequence (OS, Boot Image etc.) is 100% distributed to the DP.
    • My Network Access Account is a Domain Account which is also local Administrator on the SCCM Server.
    • Site and Component Status is all green and showing as OK.

    Do you guys have any idea what the Problem could be?
    Which log files would you start to take a look at?

    Thanks a lot in advance.

    Stefan

    Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:16 AM

Answers

  • While i was writing this post i figured out that i did create Site Boundaries and a Site Boundary Group, but i didn't add the Site Server to this specific Boundary Group...
    Added it now and it's working like a charm.

    Thanks

    Stefan

    Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:18 AM

All replies

  • While i was writing this post i figured out that i did create Site Boundaries and a Site Boundary Group, but i didn't add the Site Server to this specific Boundary Group...
    Added it now and it's working like a charm.

    Thanks

    Stefan

    Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Thank you soo much! Your answer saved me another couple of hours. Just added the right boundaries and OSD is working!
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Thanks Stefan - Your suggestion worked out great for me as well.  Just finished deploying window 8 entp using sccm 2012. 
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Boundaries configured correctly but still have the same issue.


    Abduljalil Abolzahab

    Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Hi, you also need to associate your distribution point with your newly created boundary group. This is done under administration - security - distribution points.

    Friday, September 06, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hello all.

    I have the same issue, but the boudaries configured normally and DP is associated with them. But, if I check Distribution status of OS Image, then I see it is "In progress"...

    distmgr.log does not contain any errors about this package.

    I already tryed to set the radio button "Automatically download content when..." in the package Distribution Settings and update the DP, but with no luck.

    What can I try to do for fix this issue?


    Update: solved. It was the boundaries :) I just make new IP network for testing purpose, but, of cause, forgot to add this network to boundaries... Don't make my silly mistake :)
    • Edited by Shukra2009 Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Thanks, this was my issue as well...

    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:39 AM
  • Thank you!!!

    Monday, October 13, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Thank you.   This comment saved me a substantial amount of time.    
    Thursday, June 04, 2015 7:31 PM
  • thanks you Stefan....it's working
    Thursday, August 06, 2015 6:38 PM
  • thank you it solved my issue it was boundary once I have created a new boundary for users vlan after that I added this boundary to SCCM DP group it worked like a charm :)
    Monday, October 19, 2015 7:53 AM
  • gj mate! feel the honor :-)

    saved me lots of time!

    Friday, February 19, 2016 12:51 PM
  • The same issue can also manifest if, in the AD Sites & Services console, the IP subnet of the PXE client and Distribution Point is not associated to its logical AD site!  This information is pulled in via SCCM Forest Discovery, which can then be used to update boundary groups with AD sites/subnets.  For instance, the boundary group is defined based on AD site, and the site is defined, but the subnet is not associated with it.

    Once done, when the client PXE boots and queries the Management Point, it should then resolve to target the correct local Distribution Point based on IP subnet matching up with its corresponding AD site, and continue on with the Task Sequence.

    Extra reference:

    http://henkhoogendoorn.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-task-sequence-cannot-be-run-because.html

    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:33 PM
  • Thanks Stefan.... This worked for me!
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:46 PM
  • We had implemented VLANs and I had forgotten to create new boundary subnets  for the VLANs but after creating and adding them to the boundary group the problem was fixed. Thanks Again!
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:51 PM