App-v error - Failed to launch 13003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

On windows 2012R2 we have a Xenapp environment with some app-v applications. One of which is the Office 2010 office pack.

The application gives:

The problem is that if we restart the machine on which is trying to run enough times, eventually it will run. No idea why.

The current workaround was to put the Xenapp image in private mode, cache the package locally, then when put back in standard mode it works because the Programdata\appv\..... is cached.

Every other app-v application works. And also the app-v packages are downloaded when run.

Anyone have any ideas what's with this 13003 error?

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:07 AM

All replies

• Please enable the appv client debug log and share those results

Roy Essers

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Found these.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:15 PM
  • It seems app-v cant do mappings. Are all users on that box experiencing the issue? Are all values for each SID pointing to %userprofile% under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Virtualization\LocalVFSSecuredUsers?

Roy Essers

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

Users are not experiencing this issue because i cached the app-v application in the base image were they work on. So every night when the virtual desktops restart, the app-v cache for this is still there, so it always works for them.

But that defeats the purpose of having an app-v application now doesn't it? On a clean desktop, without this application cached, when i launch it we get this. Even as an admin. Every other app-v application works, stuff like Chrome, CoreFTP, and many others. This is the only one giving this.

But in production were i cached it, it works, so i don't think it's the packaged application, it seems like maybe some setting, or maybe an update? I don't know, we didn't have this issue a few months ago.

Friday, November 24, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Are you using PVS? 

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Saturday, November 25, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Yes we are.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 6:37 AM
  • While pre-caching in the image is possible with PVS in use, I generally do not recommend it.

I prefer to configure the App-V client to place the App-V cache on the persistent drive (typically D:), and then add a line to the reboot script of the image to delete that folder.  I also prefer to enable shared cache mode if the VDA machine has no true local storage and the source packages are on-site.

By keeping the App-V cache out of the image, you prevent confusing the App-V client after a reboot in a PVS environment.  When a package is added there are breadcrumbs not only in the App-V cache but also the registry and a PVS reboot removes those in the registry.  The deletion of the folder on the D drive completes cleaning things out, but also solves a permission issue that the App-V client will have.

You might want to check out my series of "Field Notes" on XenApp/Desktop with App-V on the Citrix MyCUCG site.

Tim

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:09 PM
  • Well that's fine, and actually sounds cool, but why do all other app-v applications work?
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:28 PM
  • Check out my wiki on this.  It might not apply fully to your situation, but it goes along with what Tim suggested above.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25318.app-v-a-configuration-template-for-deploying-to-stateless-rds-clients-on-citrix-published-desktops-with-citrix-upm-for-profile-management.aspx

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Well there isn't enough information here to tell, but likely it involves what happens when the Office package is added.  The office package includes an internal script that does the licensing. App-V scripts only run if:

1) the machine is currently in the domain.

2) the App-V client configuration for scripting is enabled.

So, for example, if the package is being published globally after booting, there might be a timing issue on the former, and if GPO is used then also the latter.

You'd have to really dig into the logging to determine.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Check out my wiki on this.  It might not apply fully to your situation, but it goes along with what Tim suggested above.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25318.app-v-a-configuration-template-for-deploying-to-stateless-rds-clients-on-citrix-published-desktops-with-citrix-upm-for-profile-management.aspx

Ya it does not apply to my situation.
    Monday, December 4, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Well there isn't enough information here to tell, but likely it involves what happens when the Office package is added.  The office package includes an internal script that does the licensing. App-V scripts only run if:

1) the machine is currently in the domain.

2) the App-V client configuration for scripting is enabled.

So, for example, if the package is being published globally after booting, there might be a timing issue on the former, and if GPO is used then also the latter.

You'd have to really dig into the logging to determine.

Hi,

Machines are in the domain and the scripting is enabled no problem. Like i said this is the only app-v package giving this issue. Also the Office license would not matter in this case. The problem isn't that it's not usable because of licensing, the problem is that it doesn't start.

Monday, December 4, 2017 7:51 AM
  • Also tried resequencing it. Thought maybe the package has an issue. But the same issue.
    Monday, December 4, 2017 8:51 AM