Word preview thumbnails not working for files with locked content controls RRS feed

• Question

• We have found that Word files don't show the thumbnail file preview (for example in folders with large icon view) if those Word files contain content controls that have 'don't allow editing' and/or 'don't allow deletion' settings. 

I should say that the 'Save Thumbnail' option is enabled on the files and that, indeed, a thumbnail media picture is contained at xml level inside those files. Is there a workaround (via xml modification perhaps) to enable the thumbnail preview of such a file again? 

We often issue Word dotm or dotx templates with content controls. Users would prefer to see a thumbnail image on the template file when creating a new document. Deleting the content controls or setting them to allow editing is not an option for us. 

Happening on Word 2010, 2013, 2016 (didn't check 2007). 

Any ideas anyone? 

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi kenska,

Based on your description, I tested this problem in my environment Word 2016 with different file formats.

As shown in the following figure, I created a sample in Word and go to Developer- Properties, I checked >> 'don't allow editing' and/or 'don't allow deletion' settings. <<

Then I saved file and checked Save Thumbnail option.

I saved 5 types of file format, they are .doc, .docx, .docm, .dotm, .dotx with large icons.

As shown in the picture, this problem not appear with all file formats. As you said this problem is related to .dotm and .dotx.

As I can reproduce this problem, I suggest you give a feedback about this problem.

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:16 AM